Saturday 18th July 1959- YOUR HELP PLEASE

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Saturday 18th July 1959- YOUR HELP PLEASE

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

On this date I was a month short of my 8th birthday and my eldest brother took me from Middlesbrough to Newcastle Central for the first time for a days spotting. This of course turned out to be one of the most fascinating and fantastic experiences of my life. To be brief I saw 13 A4s that day...YES THIRTEEN Streaks plus loads of other goodies including A2/2s and numerous cops of various sizes, always booed or cheered by the lads on the wall, (for those of you who can recall that west end location)
Now I'm retired at 65 and have the time to try and take stock of just what I witnessed. I have a list of loco numbers BUT I'm keen to know just what they were all doing.....SO Do you by any chance have a copy of the Arrivals and Departures book for Newcastle Station for Summer 1959 please?
It's correct title is "Newcastle Station Train Working"
Can I beg or borrow or buy?
This would help me enormously try and make out the working timetable copy ....any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Just to finish my story to crown that day, I saw my one and only B17 on Darlington shed that evening on the way home. 61661 Sheffield Wednesday.....what a "Day of Days" it was for this 7 year old in short trousers and cap.!

Thank you
Eric
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Saturday 18th July 1959- YOUR HELP PLEASE

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Fear not everybody!

A pal in Stockton has located the very issue I needed for me to photocopy via the North Road Railway Museum in Darlington. What a splendid Band of Brothers we are sometimes