LNER returns to ECML !!!!!

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER returns to ECML !!!!!

Post by richard »

The Stirling Single never ran a proper revenue earning train for the LNER. But you could run the Fletcher and Tennant 2-4-0s instead. Both were still in service in 1923, albeit not on front line work.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

Great to see the "LNER" name will be returning. But the red colour has to go. Two tone blue (as per Coronation) would be better.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I suppose you could run the 4-2-2 and 2-4-0's on the stoppers :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

There is only one train a day on the east coast which isn't a stopper!
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

Also picked up in the Ministers speech was that the GTR will also be split up when the franchise comes up for renewal and the Great Northern Moorgate services may go to London Overground (thats been talked about for 10 years at least) and the Kings Cross Great Northern services may also go to LNER, 1923 all over again!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Mickey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm Maybe they could hire a couple of privately owned Deltics to help out with the main line services along with a couple of rakes of B.R.Mk1 & Mk2 coaches now that would be a trip down memory lane circa 1970. :wink:
Don’t forget a Gresley buffet car in blue and grey.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

There is also Green Arrow - could be a catchy name for a parcels service :D

And maybe they could borrow a few of Mr. Bulleid's spam cans - "Your train has been delayed by the wrong sort of pressed meat on the line"

I'll get me coat....

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Seagull wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 pm And maybe they could borrow a few of Mr. Bulleid's spam cans - "Your train has been delayed by the wrong sort of pressed meat on the line"
Na we don't want any of Bulleid's southern pacifics on the hallowed metals of the LNER.

Only joking guys the un-rebuilt & rebuilt West Country's & Battle of Britain's are great locos.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Trestrol wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm
Mickey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm Maybe they could hire a couple of privately owned Deltics to help out with the main line services along with a couple of rakes of B.R.Mk1 & Mk2 coaches now that would be a trip down memory lane circa 1970. :wink:
I remember them being on the 'Cambridge buffets' out of Kings Cross during the late 1960s but wasn't they all gone by 1970?.
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

I know 641 was withdrawn in 1972. The last three examples lasted until 1977, they are the ones at the NRM, SVR and NNR, if I recall correctly.

Someone much younger than I at work expressed surprise at wooden bodied stock making it into blue and grey. Those last examples were the same age then as the HSTs are now though.

Sawdust.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes HSTs came out around 1976 on the ECML if my memory serves me correctly?.

Also I vaguely remember the APT making a test run along the ECML in 1973.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

sawdust wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:32 am I know 641 was withdrawn in 1972. The last three examples lasted until 1977, they are the ones at the NRM, SVR and NNR, if I recall correctly.

Someone much younger than I at work expressed surprise at wooden bodied stock making it into blue and grey. Those last examples were the same age then as the HSTs are now though.

Sawdust.
We could also have a Gresley BG as the last two were not withdrawn until 1977. One of the last pair is going to the NYMR in the near future.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Trestrol wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm
1969/70 riding the 'Cambridge buffet' into or out of Kings Cross in a rake of B.R.Mk1s with a blue/grey Gresley buffet car in the formation behind a Brush type 2 it didn't get much better.

A B.R. livered Gresley buffet car below-

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... IP.A_Vhf6J...
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

I had not realised that the LNER brand will survive once the new operater is anounced. No more livery and uniform changes or ego trip 10% ownership to use a brand name. It will be on similar lines to the GWR franchise. Expect more franchises to be the same. WCML will probably become LMS again, Mr Branson will soon lose interest if he can't plaster his brand everywhere.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The attached has just appeared among my E-mails!
newLNER.jpg