2512silverfox - Nick Campling

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

2512silverfox - Nick Campling

Post by JASd17 »

I have just had news, via robertcwp, that Nick Campling aka '2512silverfox' passed away last November.

He was well known as an LNER historian and modeller, with a particular interest in carriage matters. His drawings have been used for many years.

John
Last edited by JASd17 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: 2512silverfox

Post by MikeTrice »

Really sorry to hear this as Nick I always found very helpful and approachable. I have conversed with him for many years although we never met in person.

The quality of his drawings, initially reproduced in the Model Railway Constructor, were exquisite, equally as good as electronically produced CAD drawings. It is a direct result of his drawings of LNER Coaches that inspired my modelling aspirations and leaned me towards the LNER in my interests.

Hopefully his drawings and books, if nothing else, will live on and continue to provide inspiration to LNER modellers for years to come.

My condolences to his family.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Nick was one of the authorities on later GNR and LNER coaching rolling stock and no doubt a number of members of this forum will have copies of his drawings in either the earlier joint work with David Jenkinson or the more recent Pendragon volume, both titled Historic Carriage Drawings. He also contributed a number of carriage modelling articles to the traditional model railway magazines.

I really only knew Nick from a distance and by e-mail. By the time he was active in the model railway scene in Colchester I had moved away, but I did visit his model shop on North Hill from time to time when visiting my parents.

In more recent years Nick was one of a small group of us corresponding on matters relating to LNER Coaching Stock and I thought it a little odd that he did not respond to a group discussion that started early last December. But then it was Christmas and the New Year and time passed on...

Nick was a long-standing member of the LNER Study Group/Society until he retired in 2012. His contribution to the knowledge and understanding of LNER coaching rolling stock was substantial and one to whom, with John Edgson, modellers of the LNER scene must be eternally grateful.

RIP Nick.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: 2512silverfox - Nick Campling

Post by sawdust »

Sad news indeed.

Sawdust.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

65447 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm His contribution to the knowledge and understanding of LNER coaching rolling stock was substantial and one to whom, with John Edgson, modellers of the LNER scene must be eternally grateful.
I for one have found his drawings and articles of great use over the years.

At least we have that volume of work to remind us of him.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Sad news indeed, he was a gentleman and a scholar. RIP.

Last Post (appropriate for a sometime soldier!) in his usual style:
2512silverfox wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am I would like to add my thanks to Mike (Trice) et al
Active to the end.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes sad news. I only knew him from his books / drawings. Like many people I have his 4mm carriage books, and I'm not even a 4mm modeller!

I'll close his account but keep the posts online.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A sad time for LNER modellers, everywhere.

I have two of his drawings on my workbench at this very moment, I hope he will forgive me for what I do to them. :(

My condolences, to his family.

Terry.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

We'll be much the poorer without him and his wealth of accumulated knowledge. He was due a great deal of respect and always remained helpful and polite when we communicated. I hope his passing was peaceful and has not caused distress or suffering for others.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:56 pm We'll be much the poorer without him and his wealth of accumulated knowledge. He was due a great deal of respect and always remained helpful and polite when we communicated. I hope his passing was peaceful and has not caused distress or suffering for others.
Graeme,

He last emailed me in mid October, busy with a carriage query.

Nick was Chairman of the LNER Society in the early 1970s and, as Dr John Sykes has said, he was 'Mr LNER' at the time. Perhaps for a certain generation of modellers in the 1970s, he was just that. Like his friend David Jenkinson he wanted a more accurate representation of all kinds of British outline layouts, but especially LNER/GNR in his case.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very sad news. We are all the poorer for this, my thought are with his family.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

As someone who has the joy of drawing with a computer, I am still in awe of the work done by Nick and John Edgson
when they laid out so much work by pencil and later ink on an old fashioned drawing board.

We are lucky that they did the work they did to preserve some of the knowledge.

He will be missed.

Paul
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Very sad news. I've only spoken to Nick a couple of times so didn't know him well personally, but as Paul and others have said, he leaves behind a legacy that we all benefit from and I'm certainly grateful for.

I had meant to contact Nick again in December as part of his collection started to appear on Ebay, but thought I'd leave it until the New year. Thi at least explains why it appeared.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GNR-Doncaste ... 4902.l9144
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Like everyone interested in building model railway carriages, I depended on the likes of Nick Campling and others for good scale drawings. Many leading lights in the modelling hobby seem to have been around forever and we take then for granted. R.I.P.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

So sad to hear about Nick's passing, such a knowledgeable person and the writer of some fantastic references. I've been working from some of his drawings today and reading this thread was a bit of a shock. Nick was one of the people that I would have really liked to have met and learn from.
Steve