New Pages: Cheshire Lines Committee

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Pages: Cheshire Lines Committee

Post by richard »

Thank you to Richard Barron for writing a new section on the Cheshire Lines Committee:

http://www.lner.info/co/CLC/index.shtml

I've also split and expanded the Constituent Companies section to include major companies, joint companies, and minor companies.

I'm also slowly working through the maps. Due to copyright issues, I am using an old map and annotating it for each company. My references are good for the big picture, but not so good for the details. I am confident with the HBR (thanks to John Broadwell), CLC (thanks to Richard Barron), and GNSR (I have a better reference available in this case), but not quite as confident with the NBR and NER. The GCR, GNR, MGN and GER still need to be completed.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
L&Y Man
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: New Pages: Cheshire Lines Committee

Post by L&Y Man »

richard wrote:Thank you to Richard Barron for writing a new section on the Cheshire Lines Committee:

I've also split and expanded the Constituent Companies section to include major companies, joint companies, and minor companies.

I'm also slowly working through the maps. Due to copyright issues, I am using an old map and annotating it for each company. My references are good for the big picture, but not so good for the details. I am confident with the HBR (thanks to John Broadwell), CLC (thanks to Richard Barron), and GNSR (I have a better reference available in this case), but not quite as confident with the NBR and NER. The GCR, GNR, MGN and GER still need to be completed.

Richard
Whilst glancing through some old copies of "The Railway Magazine", I noticed in May & June 1945's issue that a reply to a reader's enquiry said that the only motive power actually directly owned by the CLC were four Sentinel steam railcars, CLC Nos 600-603. All other motive power was provided by the LNER.

They were used on lightly-loaded services, but proved insufficient for wartime demands, so were taken out of service.

L&Y Man
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

L&Y Man wrote:Whilst glancing through some old copies of "The Railway Magazine", I noticed in May & June 1945's issue that a reply to a reader's enquiry said that the only motive power actually directly owned by the CLC were four Sentinel steam railcars, CLC Nos 600-603. All other motive power was provided by the LNER.
Motive power was originally contracted to the GCR, but both the GN and MR had running rights.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

For the NER the tile maps are a reasonable representation but read through the tile map postings to find out the whole story with the extras and the bits missing.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

A P4 model railway based on the CLC is being restored at The Historical Model Railway Society Study Centre at the Midland Railway Centre at Swanwick. The exhibition area is on the Ground Floor of the Study Centre and will be open to visitors on weekends when there is a special event at the MRC.

The layout represents a ficitious country station named Plemsworth on the line between Chester Northgate and Northwich in the post grouping period around 1928. The layout was originally built by the Merseyside Model Railway Group and much of the beautifully detailed rolling stock was handbuilt by their members.

Colombo
L&Y Man
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by L&Y Man »

L&Y Man wrote:
richard wrote:Thank you to Richard Barron for writing a new section on the Cheshire Lines Committee:

Richard
Whilst glancing through some old copies of "The Railway Magazine", I noticed in May & June 1945's issue that a reply to a reader's enquiry said that the only motive power actually directly owned by the CLC were four Sentinel steam railcars, CLC Nos 600-603. All other motive power was provided by the LNER.

They were used on lightly-loaded services, but proved insufficient for wartime demands, so were taken out of service.

L&Y Man
Further to this, "The Railway Magazine" of January and February 1945 contained an article on the history of the CLC written by Mr Gerald Leedam who was then its secretary and Manager.

L&Y Man