Tornado rebuild

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Tornado rebuild

Post by burnie »

Anyone heard anything about the progress? as it's less than 6 weeks to it hauling the first "Aberdonian" of the year, it seems odd it's not somewhere having trials by now.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tornado rebuild

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Latest newsletter by e-mail this morning shows three advertised runs cancelled and other Aberdonians will not be Tornado-hauled.

Early LAST year my daughter thought I should be positive and book myself onto one of the advertised Summer 2022 Tornado trips. I resisted, knowing that almost all repairs end up taking longer, and involving more than was originally planned. It's very sad that over a year later than the the date on which I chose not to rely, the loco still won't be ready...

The confidently predicted shorter time for building the trust's second loco seems to have gone to oblivion too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Last thing I heard was that the chassis and tender are at Locomotive Maintenance Services in Loughborough (not GCR) and the boiler is at these new premises in Darlington. Understand that the 2nd batch of boiler tubes have been rejected by their boiler insurance company.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Shame, I too had held back on booking, expecting cancellations.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Sadly, it's out of the A1 Trust's hands if the boiler insurer has rejected the batch of tubes.

Remember the furore elsewhere a few years ago, when some copper sheets for fireboxes turned out to be off spec, despite what the paperwork supplied with the material said?
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Better to do it once and get it right the first time, just a shame for those working on it.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

It's been announced the Jubilee "Leander" will haul two of the "Aberdonian" trains later this month, made we wonder if that class ever wandered onto these rails back in the day, I know they went to Perth.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

A very short video of the Aberdonian hauled by the Jubilee, there is sound if you click on the link
ImageThe Aberdonian by tigerburnie, on Flickr
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I see all the scheduled Aberdonian trips are cancelled, I take it the re-build is still behind schedule.