Freight loop construction

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Freight loop construction

Post by burnie »

It would seem there has been a request for an Environmental Impact assessment for a slow freight train passing loop between Arbroath and Montrose close to the old Lunan Bay station area(now a private house).
I had heard of plans to double the line from Usan to Montrose to remove the single track bottle neck, but this loop is a new one, didn't know we had so much freight on the line these days.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Freight loop construction

Post by kimballthurlow »

I have studied the online maps of the area and would suggest that a loop at the south end of the single line bottle-neck would be the cheaper or preferable option than either:
1. north end (for reasons I would not know but maybe more intensely built up or terrain not suitable)
2. doubling the track from Usan to Montrose which presumably requires rebuilding the bridge over the Esk.

Kimball
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Freight loop construction

Post by burnie »

The bridge over the Esk is a big unit, I think they would have to just build a new bridge at the side of it to remove the bottleneck, there is however some serious coastal erosion going on around the town shore, were it me I'd run a new line to Forfar and the into a new Montrose station near the old Kinnaber junction, Beeching once again closed the wrong bit of the line.