kelvedon to tollesbury branch - some track to be relaid !!!

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

kelvedon to tollesbury branch - some track to be relaid !!!

Post by making tracks »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, so sorry if I am a little green.
I have just purchased about half a mile of the Tollesbury branch trackbed.
I am hoping to re-lay some track, and create a small memory to this branch line. I have been been able to obtain 2 vans already, although one is ex - midland railway and one BR.
However, I need some help in obtaining pictures of this branch line, and indeed any original railwayania.
Our first job however is to clear the trackbed of trees and bushes, and as its only the wife and I, this may take some time.

thank you very much

Roy
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

If you can get a copy,then "A regional history of the railways of Great Britain" Volume 5 The Eastern Counties : Author D.I Gordon
ISBN 0 7153 743 1.

This has a few pictures of the Kelvedon,Tiptree & Tollesbury light railway and plenty of history.

My copy was published 1977 but there may be some knocking about.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

Excellent I will look out for one !
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

I got a copy on ebay - great !

thank you
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

Good luck with your scheme. If you need help you would probably find local enthusiats willing to assist.

There's a 1948 picture by H C Casserley taken at Tollesbury in an Ian Allan book called Passengers No More (2nd edition) by G Daniels and L A Dench. The engine is LNER 8636 and the train has 3 very ancient looking coaches, with another coach body on the platform presumably serving as a waiting room.
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

Thank you for your reply.
I am making a list of all these books, and will try to get as many pics as we can
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

branch

Post by 52D »

send pm i work in area and may be able to assist.

geedee
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

Good for you!

There are some useful photos in a book called "Great Eastern Railway Engine Sheds", volume 2.

One of the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway coaches, no7, was transferred to the Kelvedon and Tollesbury line and survives. It is currently being restored on the North Norfolk Railway..see here

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/carriages_vintage_wandu.htm
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

thank you for that information. I will try to get a copy

thank you
PhilM
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by PhilM »

If you are not already a member I strongly advise joining the Great Eastern Railway Society - Google for the details. It is I believe the largest of the "line" societies, has a really profesional journal and members who will have plenty of answers for you!
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

ok thanks for that - I will take a look.

all the best

roy
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

The best book to get would be that by Peter Paye, "The Tollesbury Branch". Published OPC 1985, ISBN 0-86093-327-X. It is A-4 format 128 pages, full of photos, rolling stock details, station layout plans etc etc.

There is also a section on the line in "Branches & Byways East Anglia" by John Brodribb, also published by OPC 2000 ISBN 0860935493. Also an A-4 format, with 11 pages on the branch including OS extracts, 10 photos etc.

Also worth a look are the various volumns by the late Dr Ian C Allen, the very well known photographer of East Anglian Railways. His photos can be obtained through "Transport Treasury".

John D Mann has produced a number of A-4 "booklets" - usually each about 52 pages, with most photos printed A-4 size. "East Anglian Steam Gallery Part 5" has a nice photo of J-69 0-6-0 68578 about to leave Kelvedon for Tollesbury, on 5 May 1951 - the last day of passenger services.

In "Steam in East Anglia" by Colin Shewring there is a very nice photo of Tiptree Station with J-69 8636,- 26 June 1948.

"Essex Steam" by Charles Phillips includes another photo taken on 26 June of 8636, but this time at Kelvedon Station.

Also try to get a copy of is "The Kelvedon & Tollesbury Light Railway" by N.J. Stapleton, published by Town & Country Press - my copy is the second editioon dated 1968. It is A5 format 36 pages including 22 photos, maps etc.

Hope the above is of interest.

Regards
Paul

Regards
Paul
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

Hello Paul

Thanks for your reply. I have some of those books, but I cant get the one by Peter Payne, There is one on eBay but its £45 and I wont pay that for a second hand book.
I notice your location as Southminster. I used to work on the trains on that branch, firstly on the DMUs and then on the overheads. I then used to unload the nuclear flask.
My claim to fame is that I took the only class 86 upto Southminster.

thanks

Roy
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Try www.amazon.co.uk , there is a 2nd hand copy of the Peter Paye book for £19.99, plus 5 others. Hope this helps.

John
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

Thanks very much JOhn - I will go to their website now..

gthanks again