kelvedon to tollesbury branch - some track to be relaid !!!

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

making tracks Tollesbury (and Southminster)

Post by PaulG »

making tracks wrote:Hello Paul

Thanks for your reply. ......................... I used to work on the trains on that branch, firstly on the DMUs and then on the overheads. I then used to unload the nuclear flask.
My claim to fame is that I took the only class 86 upto Southminster.

thanks

Roy
Roy
For my "sins" I travel up to London each day and whilst the flask trains ran, the branch had some interest - but now little of note!
Presumably you knew Jim Wallpole the last signalman at Southminster, who I will be seeing tonight so I'll mention your name.
I produced an article on Southminster Station for the GERS Journal a few years ago - nobody mentioned the Class 86 working the branch; it would have made an interesting footnote!
Regards
Paul
making tracks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by making tracks »

hello Paul.
I got the book from amazon thank you.
The signal box closed at Southminster just before I started working there unfortunatly.
The class 86 was - as far as I can remember 86205 and that was in 1986.
We took it up the branch because they were at one time considering electric haulage for the flask. All went well until we got to Burnham on Crouch when the loco clipped the platform edge.
Anyway I have some photos of it a Southminster somewhere.

roy
b12
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: kelvedon to tollesbury branch - some track to be relaid !!!

Post by b12 »

Interesting, but I cannot see where any trackbed still exists to any great extent, unless its the very overgrown section running south from underbridge at Top Road Tolleshunt Kinights or the track running past Manifold Wick Farm marked private keep out.
Ian Skinner
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Ian Skinner »

Hi Roy,
Have recently moved to Tollesbury and found your post while looking for info on the line. I know it's a long time since your post but have there been any developments as I would be interested in helping.
Regards,
Ian.
alfredroberts
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by alfredroberts »

I may well be able to help with the planning requirements for the scheme you suggest, if you stay within the boundaries of the old light railway order then you can benefit from Part 11 Rights in General Permitted Development Order 1995 and get pp that way

E mail me at alfredroberts2003@yahoo.com for more details