Scotsman MAJOR Update - week4

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Scotsman MAJOR Update - week4

Post by x568wcn »

Major work done in the last week, from last weeks, 'half' casing off, to this.
Have a look at this little lot!!
I thought she had an A4 Boiler on, with a little 'slope' on the front, but it doesn't!

Other bit's of note, She has moved to the far track from the middle (Green Arrow coming out??) and Green Arrows tender that was on the left of the far track, has now swapped places with Scotsman's, although I couldn't get a close up picture of Green Arrow's tender as the warehouse is closed for the building from I think the 9th -23rd, and the path is shut off before the tracks.

Mark t
Last edited by x568wcn on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Is the slope still covered by the smokebox?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

It could be!

Does anyone know what number the A4 boiler is? As I can't seem to find this anywhere, the A3 one is 27058 which came off 2502 (60037) 15/07/60

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

It is the A4 boiler, however 4472 ofcourse does not require a sloping smokebox to account for the streamlined casing. Here is the A3 boiler anyway, try spot the difference!

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I didn't say it did require a sloping smoke box, but the A4s did, and so the front should account for this, like the Duchess of Hamilton, which has to have a slope put back on, after it was taken back out!

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
sir-nigel
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by sir-nigel »

richard wrote:Is the slope still covered by the smokebox?

Richard
has no one thought the slope is the smokebox ,so on scotsman's A4 boiler they replace the A4 smokebox with a one of a A3 .

SNG boiler without the smokebox added .

with smokebox added
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Being fairly new to the workings of steam trains (They never overhauled Thomas the tank engine!) I didn't know that the bit with the chimney on top was seperate.

Sorry

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

sir-nigel wrote: has no one thought the slope is the smokebox ,so on scotsman's A4 boiler they replace the A4 smokebox with a one of a A3 .
Well yes, read what I said.
Matt wrote:4472 ofcourse does not require a sloping smokebox to account for the streamlined casing
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I DID NOT KNOW that the bit at the front was sperate is what I'm saying, and the slope isn't actually on the boiler.

SORRY

Mark t
Last edited by x568wcn on Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

What are you talking about, the last post I made was just a reply to "sir-nigel", why are you getting so worked up about something that wasn't even directed remotely at you?

You also did a similar thing in my previous post where I just explained about the A3 and A4 boiler differences, for you to just say:
x568wcn wrote:I didn't say it did require a sloping smoke box
Is that not slightly childish???, after all aren't these forum's here to discuss and find out information!?!
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes but since I wrote that I have learn't (Which we are all put on the earth for) that there is an extra bit on the front which isn't a prt of the boiler.

When you don't know something Yes, I think it is being Childish, as this is the time you learn the most in your life, so the fact I didn't know something must mean I didn't yet learn it at School.

Reet I'll never post again, and I'll cancel myself from this Forum, so no more postings on Scotsman (I can hear you all cheer)

Thanks for the little time I've been on, this is Mark Signing out
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

Now come on, your blowing this out of all proportion. It's great that your learning new stuff, no-one has had a go at you for not knowing that the smokebox was seperate anyway. And for the weekly updates on Scotsman, keep them coming in there very interesting.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I asked the question, you put a picture on saying it doesn't require a sloping Smoke box, I said I didn't say I did, as I thought it was part of the boiler, and the A4's have a slope on the front.
Sir Nigel posts pictures of Sir Nigel with and without the smoke box, where I can then see it is a sperate peice, which you blew out of proportion.

I thought the post was then posted at me aswell as Sir Nigel, and YOU then had a go at me for being CHILDISH???

I've always like steem trains, but just latley been intrested to find out about them. I have seen pictures of steam trains in bits, and in full, but never have I seen a stream train coming apart bit by bit, which I think not too many people have.

I heard that Scotsman had an A4 boiler on, which needed a slope on the front for the streamlined casing. I didn't know the front bit was seperate and interchangable.

So the fact Scotsman has an A4 boiler doesn't matter as the A4 and A3 are the same then??

Yours

M
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

<moderatorial cough>

I'd have to look up the details, but the A3s, A4s, and V2s had very similar, but different boilers.
Many of the A3s were fitted with A4 boilers later in their lives, and Thompson considered fitting V2 boilers to A3s (but this never happened).

The A4 boiler represented an incremental improvement over the A3 boiler mainly due to its higher working pressure. The A3 was in turn an improvement over the A1 boiler with its higher working pressure and significantly larger superheater.

Richard[/i]
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Crikey....i've seen Barry wrecks that look better........ :shock:

David