New Section: East & West Yorkshire Union Railway

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Section: East & West Yorkshire Union Railway

Post by richard »

A new section has been added to the Constituent Companies section:

http://www.lner.info/co/EWYUR/index.shtml

An odd little line that served collieries in the south Leeds area.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Section: East & West Yorkshire Union Railway

Post by richard »

Thank you to George Moffat who has provided some further photographs of EWYUR locomotives and some more additional information on them.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
w41tzer
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by w41tzer »

ran accross the bottom of my road, everything there but a tunnel, no doubt what started my love affair with old lines, lost railways of west yorkshire site has wealth of pictures, not all by me, lol, things being unearthed literally every few years
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

In the Ian Allan facsimile of the RCH 1904 Atlas of England and Wales, only the North to South line making junctions near to Stourton MR and Lofthouse GN is shown. There is an uncoloured faint outline representation of an Eastward line from Robin Hood toward the Methley Joint, but no indication of a junction with this railway; am I right in assuming that this means this section of the E&WYUR was not considered in mileage terms by the RCH?
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

There's a little about the incorporation history on p 57 & p 58 of A Regional History of the railways of Great Britain; Vol 8, South & West Yorkshire, David Joy, published by David & Charles. There are 4 pictures on p28 & p29 of Railways Around Wakefield & Pontefract, by John Farline and Peter Cookson, Wyvern Publications and finally four pages (p53 - p56) on the working, track diagrams, photos etc. in Railway Memories No. 6, Ardsley, Wakefield & Normanton, Stephen Chapman & Peter Rose, Bellcode.

The locos in later life appear to be mainly J52s, J94s and J6s. The photo of the J6 (P Cookson) appears in both of the last two books, but must be reversed in one of them!
w41tzer wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 am ran across the bottom of my road
If it was the A61, there's a picture in the second book taken in 1961.

Peter
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi I cant add much to the wealth of information on this railway byway apart from an observation of the workings mostly colliery /transfer, that I found in an article in a copy of the The Railway Magazine in '53/'54?about this branch (I was 6yrs old)but low &behold my beloved J52's were illustrated on their way to Stourton Exchange sidings,@ one end of this branch, now for a young boy from the 34A&34B area spending their life on cross london /transfer goods&with a bit of yard shunting, I was amazed, in later years found that just like the J50's that they were Ardsley allocated, having no idea other class members existed outside the North London Area, until I gained a Locoshed Book, couldnt afford the combined edition.
w41tzer
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by w41tzer »

no, church field lane, 2 roads over from the station :D