Scarborough to lose it;s signal gantry

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Scarborough to lose it;s signal gantry

Post by silver fox »

The signal Gantry is to be removed from Scarbough, along with the Box.
The Gantry is to either be displayed in the carpark [Possible vandalism?]
Or with the box be moved to the South end of Grosmont station.
Scarbrough will be going to lights controlled from Seamer box.
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Scarborough to lose it;s signal gantry

Post by Bullhead »

silver fox wrote:Or with the box be moved to the South end of Grosmont station.
Whereabouts at the South end of Grosmont? Surely the relatively new Grosmont Crossing box (the structure being largely ex-Whitby, if I remember correctly) can cope with current, and likely future, traffic demands at this location?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Scarborough to lose it's signal gantry

Post by silver fox »

ok, I did it from memory, it's north end!
By Mark t
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

It's good to know that it'll not end up as landfill. Presumably the "new" box will control traffic onto and from the Esk Valley line then? I'd be interested to know more about what the mode of signalling will be, especially if conventional semaphore signalling is being reinstated.

On the subject of the South end of Grosmont station, I'm surprised that there's still no connection to allow light engines coming off/going to the shed to/from platform 3 without first making a double shunt back out of platform 2, with the associated extended closure of the level crossing (although I'm grateful for the entertainment the additional movements provide!).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Are you sure its going to Grosmont??
As part of the lottery bid for Pickering a signal box is planned to show visitors how a box actually works - so could this be were its going?
Last edited by YNMR on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Source is Steam Railway

The Gantry, don't know of the box, but the gantry is Grade II listed, so IS safe.
By Mark t
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Next year is going to be a busy year for resignalling schemes in the north east. Phase 2 of the Durham coast resignalling starts next year i believe. This will take out all the mechanical boxes in the Harlepool area and up to Ryhope Grange. They will be replaced by a temporary power box at Hartlepool station until phase 3 is comnplete. This involves building a new I.E.C.C box at tees yard for the whole route. Tees yard seems a funny place to put it as i believe there is talk of the land being sold for redevelopment. Most of the mechanical signalling on this route is of BR design but there are a couple of gems at Seaham. One is a lattice bracket post at the end of the Middlesbrough bound platform of similar design to the Scarborough gantry. and also heading to Sunderland there is a wooden post with a cast bracket attached.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Is that from an official source? I know it is modernisation, but I will be very sad to see the Seaham signal go.On my last run down there a few weeks ago I noticed that Cemetery North box was a burnt out shell and Hall Dene box had been apparently doubled in length ? so carefully that you could hardly notice. If the signal with the cast bracket you refer to is the one on the Up line between Seaham and Hall Dene, it has already been felled and replaced by a new galvanised steel semaphore.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

[quote="TRESTROL"]Next year is going to be a busy year for resignalling schemes in the north east. quote]

The 'boxes are also due to go on the old Blyth and Tyne at Ashington and North Seaton some time later this year
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Sorry for the bump, but I do have some sort of valid info.
YNMR wrote:Are you sure its going to Grosmont??
As part of the lottery bid for Pickering a signal box is planned to show visitors how a box actually works - so could this be were its going?
The signal box 'intended' for use at Pickering was the one at Cayton (On the Scarbrough-Filey stretch), however since the removal the 'box, no-one knows where it is.

If there are signals to be introduced at the north end of Grosmont, there does indeed need to be another signalbox, as the existing one wouldn't have any/enough spare levers, and doesn't control (m)any of the points at the north end, they're done via ground-frame. However the location of the 'box would be interesting to see, as the location of the original one is where the northern extension to platform 2 is now.
Moors Bound
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Falsgrave box is Listed but there is currently no mention of any plan to relocate it anywhere else and that would be a huge project in itself. If the NYMR did intend to open a box at the north end of Grosmont that would be bizarre even by their standards - I would suggest it would be better off done by point motors or (for example) acquiring the long disused Stokesley signalbox if possible as it's a wooden structure and thus easily moved.
The NER signal with the cast iron bracket which an earlier poster mention was decommissioned a couple of years ago and dumped on the site of the former connection to Seaham Colliery at Dawdon.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

As far as I know, there is no intention of acquiring any other boxes for operational use.
The display box for use at Pickering is intended to be a renovated Marishes rd box, which I think is already around the NYMR somewhere.
The gantry at Grosmont will come under the control of Grosmont box except for any release required from NR.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Thanks for clearing that up Bryan.

I must admit, I'd rather see the gantry at the south end and a bracket signal at the north end, but that would just be too much work to do the same job.
Moors Bound