Newcastle Parcel depot to be demolished

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Newcastle Parcel depot to be demolished

Post by Trestrol »

It appears that the former Parcel depot at the bottom of Westgate Road Newcastle is to be demolished and a 6 storey hotel put in its place. It will be some modern glass and steel building totally out of place with its surrounding. The back of this building extends under the station via arches.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Newcastle Parcel depot to be demolished

Post by 52A »

Another bit of history going the journey, but it is in a bit of a state. Lets hope that something reasonable is erected.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Don't think it will be by all accounts. I worked in this building from the late eighties to the early nineties when it was the BR S&T stores. Its quite deceptive as to how big it is inside from the outside the arches extended all the way to old Platform 4. There was a ventalation shaft up to there and i can remember the throb of the Penzance HSTs parked in the platform above. I wonder if there is anybody out there that can answer a question i have. Next to the old parcel counter ther is a raised glass office. to the right of the office door was another door in the brick wall. This was nailed shut and i never found out where it went to. I thought it may have gone into the old railway doctors office in Irving house next door. this i nlate disciounted as i had been in the doctors office.The parcel building and irving house were conected even though there was another building between them. Does anybody have any information?
barty4147
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by barty4147 »

TRESTROL wrote:Don't think it will be by all accounts. I worked in this building from the late eighties to the early nineties when it was the BR S&T stores. Its quite deceptive as to how big it is inside from the outside the arches extended all the way to old Platform 4. There was a ventalation shaft up to there and i can remember the throb of the Penzance HSTs parked in the platform above. I wonder if there is anybody out there that can answer a question i have. Next to the old parcel counter ther is a raised glass office. to the right of the office door was another door in the brick wall. This was nailed shut and i never found out where it went to. I thought it may have gone into the old railway doctors office in Irving house next door. this i nlate disciounted as i had been in the doctors office.The parcel building and irving house were conected even though there was another building between them. Does anybody have any information?

hi i also worked in this parcel dep .the door your mention did go to the doctors office and toilets.
i used to use it when on night shift in 1958
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

hi i also worked in this parcel dep .the door your mention did go to the doctors office and toilets.
i used to use it when on night shift in 1958[/quote]

Are we thinking of the same door? Are you talking about the back entrance to Irving House? Once through the door the toilets were on your left and ahead was the door to Irving house. The door i am thinking of was at right angles to the glass office door. this was up two steps and along a short corridor with the office windows and door on your left. the sealed door was straight ahead.
barty4147
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by barty4147 »

TRESTROL wrote:hi i also worked in this parcel dep .the door your mention did go to the doctors office and toilets.
i used to use it when on night shift in 1958
Are we thinking of the same door? Are you talking about the back entrance to Irving House? Once through the door the toilets were on your left and ahead was the door to Irving house. The door i am thinking of was at right angles to the glass office door. this was up two steps and along a short corridor with the office windows and door on your left. the sealed door was straight ahead.[/quote]

i would like to think we are talking about the same doors
i worked there also in 1958/59
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Are we thinking of the same door? Are you talking about the back entrance to Irving House? Once through the door the toilets were on your left and ahead was the door to Irving house. The door i am thinking of was at right angles to the glass office door. this was up two steps and along a short corridor with the office windows and door on your left. the sealed door was straight ahead.[/quote]

i worked there also in 1958/59[/quote]

Not sure, its not the door to the toilets unless there was another set of hidden toilets! The door is right next to the glass office door opposite the counter(although the counter may have been a later addition. By the way I used to work with somebody who said his dad worked there as well hiss last name was Carr did you know him?
barty4147
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by barty4147 »

TRESTROL wrote:Are we thinking of the same door? Are you talking about the back entrance to Irving House? Once through the door the toilets were on your left and ahead was the door to Irving house. The door i am thinking of was at right angles to the glass office door. this was up two steps and along a short corridor with the office windows and door on your left. the sealed door was straight ahead.
i worked there also in 1958/59[/quote]

Not sure, its not the door to the toilets unless there was another set of hidden toilets! The door is right next to the glass office door opposite the counter(although the counter may have been a later addition. By the way I used to work with somebody who said his dad worked there as well hiss last name was Carr did you know him?[/quote]

i worked with a van driver whose name was vic hall . before that i worked as a messenger boy

there were many drivers and van boys working there .
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

No not him, any idea on the door though?