New Photos: Mainly Preservation + a rare Tottenham Hotspur

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Photos: Mainly Preservation + a rare Tottenham Hotspur

Post by richard »

I've been given quite a few photos recently, and there will be more on the way - so look out for a general improvement in picture quality over the next few weeks.

This afternoon's batch have been mainly preservation era photographs given by Geoff Byman. The updated pages are:

Patrick Stirling
NER Bouch 1001 'Long Boiler'
GER J15
NER J27
GNR C2 'Klondyke'
LNER D49
LNER Thompson B1
LNER V2
LNER Peppercorn A2
LNER A4

Dennis Butler has also been giving me a few photos recently, and we've been working recently to get a significant number of Peter Groom's BR-era photographs added. (watch this space!)
In the meantime, I have added a photograph that Dennis has of B17 No. 2870 'Tottenham Hotspur'. This is particularly unusual because No. 2870 only carried this name for a few months (a second engine took the name later).

With all these picture additions, I've also been tidying up some of the formatting. In particular, a photograph of Colombo's V2 has been improved a bit (I still had the master that Colombo sent - ie. I fixed some sloppy formatting on my part!)

I was hoping to get the E5 page up today, but it is getting later. Perhaps tomorrow (Sunday), but in the meantime, here is another of Geoff Byman's photographs:
Attachments
The_First_and_the_Fastest_web.jpg
Photograph of No. 4468 'Mallard' and the 'Rocket' replica at the NRM - courtesy of Geoff Byman FRPS
(140.92 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Very nice, loved the photo of Rocket and Mallard! The Bouch 1001 class is a lovely example of a Victorian locomotive as well.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The 1001 is an odd/interesting design. I think it looks a bit 'continental'!

I'll be writing the page for that class in the next couple of weeks. Basically the general design was old and was perpetuated longer than you would expect. The boiler was large and the firegrate was small. However, this actually proved beneficial on the Stockton & Darlington, where mineral duties tended to be relatively short and involved lots of stopping. Hence it had time to build up boiler pressure when stopped, and the small grate resulted in low coal consumption.
Ie. economic to operate, although unsuitable for longer runs.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It took three weeks for someone to notice that I'd put Geoff's J21 picture on the J15 page! lol

In my defence, they were built by the same person (T.W. Worsdell) and look very similar, although the later J21 has a larger better-looking cab.

Now fixed!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia