NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by richard »

And there's a photograph in the NRM (and much reproduced - e.g. in NER Record Vol.2) that shows upholstered seats.

Well I have my seat castings, even if I know they are a little narrow.

So where were the new original plans found?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

In the bowels of the NRM apparently, when one of our number was looking for something else - always the way!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yep - that's how I found the 1001 drawing - someone else was looking for an NER Fletcher 2-4-0 drawing in the Dubs archive. And lo, there's an 0-6-0 in there too! Perhaps not where you'd expect it, but Dubs made the last batch so that is where the drawing survived. Like searching for William Hartnell Dr Who episodes in far flung archives.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the books don't suggested slatted wood - upholstered or possibly straw-coloured rattan.

Do we know what colour the upholstery was? Apparently the contemporary Tyneside electrics used blue for first class and rattan/straw for third class, although the photo in NER Record describes (first class?) longitudinal seats as green.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Autocar Publicity wrote:In the bowels of the NRM apparently, when one of our number was looking for something else - always the way!
Well at least they were found before the restoration is finished! :)

Sawdust.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

richard wrote:Do we know what colour the upholstery was? Apparently the contemporary Tyneside electrics used blue for first class and rattan/straw for third class, although the photo in NER Record describes (first class?) longitudinal seats as green.
I'm told they were 'standard' NER coach upholstery, presumably the colour/style for third class, but wouldn't bet the ranch on it...
sawdust wrote: Well at least they were found before the restoration is finished! :)
Sawdust.
I know what you mean, but we had already decided to upholster the passenger seats - we're thoughtful like that!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Just a quick update, more of the engine room roof panels have been painted, the girders are continuing to be worked on and other bits and pieces have been done.

The publicity stand has been out to Settle (thankyou to Michael for manning this) and is due to go to Bradford and Scalefour North model railway exhibitions in April.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

The newsletter has just gone to the printers and I've e-mailed the PDF version out to those who receive it that way. This issue is fairly heavy on engineering and mechanical parts, Steve Hoather (our tame engineer) has explained what's what with the engine, chassis and bogies, also what we expect to happen in the next few months. We also have a five page spread of original plans of the autocar, discovered by Nigel Yule, which the NRM have kindly agreed to let us use in the newsletter. I have asked about whether we can post them on our web-site and on here, but they're not too keen on that.
Chassis o-all.jpg
The chassis is virtually finished, with any luck it and the bogies should head off to Loughborough later this month. There is talk of testing it on one of the nearby heritage lines, so if this summer/autumn you see a strange-looking vehicle which has not got a body on and looks a bit like a Hornby OO Gauge 121's chassis, that's probably the autocar... (Send us a picture won't you?) In May we expect to be starting on the autocoach.

The publicity stand has been to Bradford exhibition, which was hit by a combination of very good weather and fuel worries. Those that did come, however, were interested. Unfortunately we have had to pull out of Scalefour North due to a lack of transport for the stand. We are attending Pateley Bridge show on the 28th and 29th April though, Stephen and I are staffing this. In June (16th) the stand will be at the Kirby Stephen East show.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

End view (SM) E.jpg
The move of the LNWR Directors saloon to York for Railfest has allowed Stephen to get an end view of the autocar.
End boarding cup R.jpg
Woodworking has continued, with us now turning to the tongue and groove boarding. Alan has been working on the driving compartment end. The section in the middle is straightforward, but towards the sides, the front curves inwards.

The woodworking skills centre is under construction in the shed. This is part of our continuing commitment to education, as the Lottery grant requires. As well as telling people how significant the autocar was in the history of transport, we want to teach traditional skills and show them how to restore vintage rolling stock.

Much work has been done off-site. Steve Hoather, Dave Moore, Peter Van Houten and many others have been beavering away on the mechanical side of things. There was a visit to Embsay to check measurements and plans at the start of May. Peter made a template for the engine room roof to check how the plans measure up against the reality.
ER roof template R.jpg
The clerestory section was spot on, but the profile of the side sections was slightly out.
Electronics rack R.jpg
David Moore (right) and Peter Van Houten with the electronics rack which will house the engine control system, wheelslip prevention system and other electronics. This was recovered from a Grand Central HST power car when it was re-engineered, and generously donated to the project by its owners, Angel Trains. The rack has been refurbished and re-wired by Noel Craigen.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

PS - I forgot to say that we will have a stand at Railfest, in combination with Stately Trains and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway.

Stately Trains' LNWR Directors saloon will be acting as the press coach - recently repainted and with many internal decorations added in the last few weeks. For more information on this and the other coaches in the fleet, we have produced a guide which we hope will be available for this event (it's currently at the printers...).
Railfest R.jpg
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Looking good chaps - I'm located near Brush so do let me know if it's to be tested and I'd be happy to go and photograph it, work permitting
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for these regular updates, love to see whats going on, on this very important vehicle, 8) .

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I can just visualise a driver garbed in storm coat and goggles driving the naked autocar up the GCR mainline. Remember when they used to deliver lorry chassis for building in a similar way.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I will call in at Railfest whilst on the NYMR stand.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »