NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

That would be a grand day out. And it is coming closer.

The chassis is now back at Embsay. It will be a nerve wracking day when the body is craned onto the chassis, but once it's on, that's another major milestone passed.

The latest newsletter has just been published; hard copies should be hitting doormats towards the end of this month. It's fairly heavy on photos, showing the tests and progress made by our engineering team. I've just added several videos from testing to my You-Tube account.

The pace quickens...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

And the newsletters (except for two where I'm waiting for new addresses from our membership secretary following members' house moves) were posted yesterday, so they should be with you shortly.
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

Not wishing to steal Autocar Publicitys thunder but on Friday 22nd the body sections were lifted off the LNER accommodation chassis and put onto the powered one.
Photos courtesy of Alan Chandler.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Q9Z ... 1lYNWhQX2c

This is a major milestone in the project.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Another giant step for the Autocar. Curious though that the body has been lifted between the accomodation frames and new powered frames, in two sections. Any particular reason?
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

2392 wrote:Another giant step for the Autocar. Curious though that the body has been lifted between the accomodation frames and new powered frames, in two sections. Any particular reason?
I'll copy and paste the reply I did to the same question on the NYMR forum Malcolm:

It is in 2 halves because that is how it was cut in 1932 to transport from Kirkbymoorside station to the field at Keldholme for use as a holiday cottage. Same reason that the bodies in Scotland were cut as they did not have lorries or trailers long enough to load the entire length on.
It was cut at the partition between the passenger saloon and the engine compartment. Also the roof over the engine is steel and the wooden clerestory rails run through beyond the partition and are bolted into the steel rails. It was therefore structurally the most logical place to cut it.
Now that the body is on the correct underframe the top and bottom rails will be joined using new timber.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Thanks, as on the nymr forum, it's obvious. Though couldn't see for looking :wink: .
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

As Wavey has said, the long-awaited lift of the body onto the chassis has successfully taken place. This was recorded on film and we plan to have a short video for you in the near future. A link will be posted...
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

A short video has been produced and is here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... wkwrzuZKEk
Courtesy of Martin Sunderland.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

We also have a revised web-site now, still at http://electricautocar.co.uk/, but one which is optimised for viewing on tablets and other non-PC devices. There's been a substantial update in the news, photos and videos on the site. I'm also about to start on the next newsletter, so will post some of the key points & photos once that's sorted out.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Well, apologies for the interval since the last post. Unfortunately there's some very serious domestic and work matters to deal with right now and a lot of things have had to be deferred a bit. The newsletter has been published and is now probably just a memory for the membership - I'm starting to think about the next issue. The AGM is next weekend and an opportunity to look at the autocar and autocoach as well as catching up with paperwork and meeting the membership.

Four photos of the lift:
Lift 3 (AC) R.jpg
Consist arriving at Priors Lane, where the lift took place. This is the Embsay Railway's primary stock transfer site and there was room for the craning here. (Alan Chandler)
Lift 1 (AC) E.jpg
The lift was done in two halves, this was the first. (Wavey)
Lift 2 (AC) E.jpg
And a much larger second half. (Alan Chandler)
Lift 5 (DC) E.jpg
And the lift completed, the autocar draws away, back to Embsay. (Wavey).
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Back in the shed E (AC).jpg
Back at Embsay, there's now much work on the bodywork, with much of the original tongue and groove matchboarding removed to allow bolts to be inserted to connect the body and chassis. Some glazing has been fitted and work done on the first driving position.
T&G Removed R (AC).jpg
Glazing 1 (AC).jpg
Photos courtesy Alan Chandler.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Exciting stuff!!!!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

And it's looking better now:
Autocar 01-12-2016 (AC) R.jpg
A picture of Alan's from December. In poor light and if you don't have your glasses on, it looks nearly completed... There's a lot of work still to do but it is showing significant signs of progress, reflecting all the time and effort put into this restoration.

The next newsletter is due shortly, I had hoped to make some progress on compiling it today but am feeling rough so it'll be a little later in February (together with a more comprehensive update here).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

WOW! that's looking good, another 12 months should see it running ??

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Hopefully it's not too far off that, but after so many issues, we're all rather reluctant to predict timescales - we've been wrong/disappointed before!