NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

So far so good. Work is proceeding well, we've taken out the glazing
AC glazing.jpg
and looked at the roof, removed the existing underfelt etc. to reveal boards in very good condition.
Roof investigation.jpg
There's lots of debris in the photo, but the passenger saloon roof is in good condition, the engine room is not so good, I won't post a photo taken showing the expressions on certain faces, it's not really suitable... The roof has had to be removed, the metalwork has rusted to a disturbing degree - I've seen sheets of cardboard that were more substantial and inflexible - and will be replaced in due course.
AC roof.jpg
AC o-all.jpg
This is the state of play as of today, we've taken the end off as we need to replace some of the framework, hopefully tomorrow; you can see the ventilator covers are back in place, there's also several restored doors (less visible) been reframed and rehung.

If we can tempt you to get involved, do get in touch, many hands and all that. You'll be welcome.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Looks superb - do you have any volunteers in derby?

If it's of interest, when it's running, I can easily help with finding Edwardian civilians and British soldiers in accurate uniforms for authentic 'flavour' , as well as period boxes, magazines, food tins etc if they're of use
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Excellent news, can't wait for it to move under it's own steam. :D

The Gresley bogie, just Temporary ???

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Good to see things progressing well Simon-keep up the good(hard!) work.If things start to get really tough-just imagine the AC on the front cover of The Railway Magazine!!!!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

We have volunteers all over this country as well as a few abroad - I'm not aware of any in Derby offhand, but will ask the membership secretary when I see him. Edwardian costume, possibly, we'll bear it in mind. It is possible that a railway might run a WW1 wartime weekend rather than WW2, in which case... Alternatively, those could be useful for filming, whether for a TV programme or part of a bigger project. Thanks.

The chassis it's currently on is a temporary accommodation one, we have a GNR brake van chassis for it - the closest we can get - elsewhere, which will be worked on shortly. Self-propulsion, we're hoping for late 2012, but it depends on quite a lot, it could be earlier, could be later, in 2013.

The latest news is that the end is now reframed and we are working in the engine room, earlier today I was priming the timber of the vents cover and the surrounding framework. We've had the Yorkshire Post round taking pictures, so hopefully they will run a story in the near future.

Edit - they have, the printed version appeared on Friday 8th July and this is on their web-site - http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- ... _1_3557695
Last edited by Autocar Publicity on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Just a picture of the reframed end...
AC end 2.jpg
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Looking good. Is it okay if I use some of the photographs from updates for my Edwardian era blog? I'll of course credit to them to the Trust and put a link every time I use them, or to an individual if you prefer.

A WW1 event at a railway would be great, the only thing close is the Tramway Museum at Crich, but i've attended that before and it's a bit pantomime. Would ideally be somewhere with authentic Victorian/Edwardian rolling stock and locomotives and buildings rather than a Standard 4 and Mk 1 coaches with 1950's style stations
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Photos, if people wish to use those which I post on here for their own 'private' use (that sounds so disreputable...) or for other non-commercial or not for profit enterprises, that's fine. Accreditation, virtually all those I post on here are my own, but if you say "(c) or courtesy of 1903 NER Autocar Trust" that should cover the bases. If anyone needs higher res versions, or wants to do something of a commercial nature, get in touch...

WW1, we'd need to borrow a couple of locos, but there's Stephen's carriages... The companies vary, but he's got two GER six wheelers and a bogie GER - currently in Canada being used for the theatrical production of the Railway Children. Perhaps in 2012?
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

We're at the stage when there's not too much visible progress - one reason why there's no photos this time. The roof has been prepared ready for canvassing but that may have to wait until the body is on the correct underframe. The clerestory beads are out, cleaned and primed. The unwanted holes in the roof and side have been repaired and filled to match the interior décor. The interior is receiving a final sand over, which is a slow job but one which improves the finish considerably.

Mechanicals, the underframe is very poor in places and the replacement steel proved hard to source. However, we have now bought this and it will be fitted shortly, allowing the power bogie to be fitted. A Cummins engine has been designed and will be built at Darlington.

Also, and very significantly, recent discussions with the Office of the Rail Regulator indicate that if rebuilt to our plans, they see no objection to the autocar and trailer running into Skipton, subject to Network Rail agreement. An informal chat at the autocar with a Network Rail manager was positive in this respect. This is potentially a major boost to the railway's chances of being able to operate a regular service to Skipton....
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

The Worth Valley has an Edwardian era station at Oakworth and a reasonable collection of suitable locos for a launch - may be worth getting in touch with them.

As for the Autocar. Wonderful. Please keep us posted with future developments.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Autocar Publicity wrote: Also, and very significantly, recent discussions with the Office of the Rail Regulator indicate that if rebuilt to our plans, they see no objection to the autocar and trailer running into Skipton, subject to Network Rail agreement. An informal chat at the autocar with a Network Rail manager was positive in this respect. This is potentially a major boost to the railway's chances of being able to operate a regular service to Skipton....
And this would also have the benefit of not requiring to go past the branch turnout off the loop. As no run round would be required.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Indeed. Apparently there is space for a run-round loop, but I'm told the gradient in those platforms at Skipton is more than the gradient you are allowed to leave coaches "unattended" on (1 in 250 ?) - so with conventional operation, you'd have to top and tail or chock the coaches, as well as deal with all the issues of installing a loop... Neither convenient nor desirable. Using a multiple unit is a lot simpler from the operational point of view. And the Autocar and trailer would be more interesting than an ex-Northern 144 Pacer!

Anyway, some advance notice of our AGM, we're planning to hold it on the 15th October at Embsay. Members should be receiving their notice etc. in the post later this month.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Well, we're making progress on a variety of fronts. The roof has been cleaned up and several holes repaired - there's a feature on this in the latest newsletter (due to be published later this month). The windows have been stained, ready for installation. More panels have come off the engine room roof (eventually...) and work's taken place on the replacement chassis.
reverse roof LF (AC).jpg
A view from the gutter, looking along the roof. The nails used to secure the canvas to the roof were distressingly numerous... (Picture by Alan Chandler).
window stack LF.jpg
By stacking the windows by putting blocks between the glass, both sides can be stained at the same time.
Comic found in door R (AC).jpg
When working on a door, part of a paper from 1947 was found, stuffed into the interior. Flash Gordon...! (Picture by Alan Chandler)

Halsgrove have also published a book by Robin Jones, "Railmotor", which also features the Autocar. (A more substantive post will follow in the Classified section). Unfortunately, when he asked me for photos of the autocar, I was under the impression he wanted them for a spread in Heritage Railway, rather than this book, so that affected my choice of pictures and level of detail/information provided... It's still a decent book though and of interest to anyone interested in early railcars and the origins of modern passenger units.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I'd love to know how that comic got in there. Check out where its from - The Star weekly from Toronto? :shock:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Yes, you did read it correctly! It's a long way from home. We've found a few other pieces of newspaper in doors since, none of them in as good condition. One was a page of classifieds, sadly without a date, but whenever it was, people were advertising Spaniel pups, tulip bulbs and liver salts...
Roof A5459 - R.jpg
The roof is now in good condition, we hope to canvas it in the next couple of weeks.
ER roof A5469 - R.jpg
Not this bit though! The engine room roof is proving quite a task but we're winning. All credit to Geoff and the two Johns for their effort with this.
chalking bits A5491 - R.jpg
It's helpful to keep a note of which bit came from where...
A5474 chassis wear - R.jpg
I've talked about the chassis and some bits of it being badly worn - compare the differences of the upper parts of the U / C section. You could almost shave with some edges - they are supposed to be half an inch thick...

We'll be attending the Leeds model railway exhibition with the publicity stand this weekend, it's 10 - 5 Saturday and Sunday at the Grammar School. If you can make it, drop by and say hello.