NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Wavey »

manna wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:06 pm G'Day Gents

Congratulations on a great re-build, great to see it running again.

I do hope there is another project, it would be a great shame to break up a good team of tradesmen, Is there any truth in the rumor that you've found a Sentinal Railcar.............................. :lol:

manna
There is still a lot of work to do on the trailer car 3453. It requires all the electrical control gear fitting and making the control desk operational so that the 2 car unit can be driven from the brake end of 3453. It currently has operational vac brakes but also need air brake system fitting to run with the Autocar.
It will also have steam heat fitted and that together with dual brakes will make it a very useful carriage that can be run with other locos (G5?!) and in other sets as required.
Also it will be getting full repaint, lettering, lining etc next year. We also would like to add missing items from the compartments like luggage racks and make them as authentic as possible.

As for a Sentinel railcar, if a body still existed somebody would already have it as a project!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

Thank you Wavey, It sounds as if you've got enough to keep you going for a few years yet. :D

The Sentinal, is only wishful thinking.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Hopefully nowhere near that long for the autocoach!

One of the best photos I've seen yet of the pair together, courtesy Mike Heath.
BBL & Embsay R (Mike Heath).jpg
The autocoach is now at Elsecar for their Home from the Front event (https://www.elsecarrailway.co.uk/index. ... -the-front).

We've also got more photos from the launch and footage from BBC Look North on our web-site (https://electricautocar.co.uk/).
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

I take it that feature shown on last nights edition of Look North from Tyneside was a repeat the feature from Leeds. Great to see both the Autocar and coach up and running together. With the autocoach needing to be finished off. Certainly something to savour in the not [hopefully] to distant future....
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Well done!!!

And some free publicity from The Daily Fail. Pity they thought she was an EMU.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Can't wait to have a ride, looks brilliant.
You will need something to do after it's finished so you could build a new Sentinal, just don't name it after another royal, we have too many of those already.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

And today, some rather interesting modelling news:

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/artic ... ic-autocar

We've been working with them for a while and the project's now confirmed. Pre-Grouping models keep coming...
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Excellent news. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks manna.

And today, tickets for public running next April are now on sale - but note the provisos! With the first two days of public running, we are making an effort to have something a bit special going on, more than just a train ride.

https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.or ... 7f8605cdac
Reading_Steiner
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Reading_Steiner »

I've been following this restoration for a while now, and it's one of the main reason why I created an account here... I've always been into old school trains, something that may well have originated in the cow boy and WW2 movies and comics I had when I was a kid and that featured them everywhere.

Anyway, back on topic: if I got things right, you are going to run this autocar regularily, right? Because I may well go on holidays in the UK next summer and would like to bring my wife and kids on a real old fashioned train ride.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

We'll get the autocar out there as much as possible, whether at Embsay or elsewhere. There's only the Easter dates at the moment though I know we are looking at others - I'm not sure about the summer yet. It probably depends on your definition of 'regularly'... We have to fit into Embsay's timetables and hires elsewhere, whether for specific events or a short period of 'normal' running. I know of one booking for 2019, I suspect others will be being discussed now or in the near future. As soon as we're able to, we'll post news on running dates and visits elsewhere both on the autocar's web-site and here. Hope to see you sometime for an Edwardian style train trip!
Reading_Steiner
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Reading_Steiner »

Okay, thanks for the answer! Then I'll make sure to check the website regularly as to know what's happening and when to book, if possible.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

I am very proud to announce that the autocar's restoration has won the Manisty award. This is the Heritage Railway Association’s most prestigious award, awarded by the Board of the HRA on an occasional basis for an exceptional and outstanding contribution to railway preservation. It's a much appreciated recognition of the skills and efforts of our volunteers.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Well deserved by all Simon.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Seconded John.