NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Thanks for the head's up, but we have this picture. We are looking for the Christmas card published in NER days though, showing the autocar, so if anyone sees that one, we'd like to know.

52D's vision is probably how it will happen... hopefully not in the depths of winter.

Not much to report this time, but Alan's been finishing off the tongue and groove boarding on the end of the body (non engine room end) and there's all sorts of other bits here and there. The engine room roof is still taking up some time.
AC end T&G (AC) ER.jpg
The autocoach has been extracted from the siding and the tarpaulins removed. It looks a bit tatty but we expect it's fairly straightforward, just a lot of joinery...
Autocoach 4 (AC) - RE.jpg
Thanks to Alan for both photos.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

The latest newsletter is out, members should have got theirs by now, non-members can buy back issues and the current one from us direct or through the Embsay Station bookshop (£3 plus 50p postage).

The autocar end boarding is continuing, with the boarding above the windows now visible. Other bits and pieces are also being worked on but are still at the stage where there's lots of effort for little visible sign of progress.

The autocoach is also being worked on, having removed the old panelling - some of which was fit only for compost - the frames have been examined and the odd few score nails removed. With the odd exception, most of the frames are in good condition and will not need much work. We have managed to get some new panels on and this has improved the appearance. The only drawback is it might lead people into a false impression that the job is nearly done. When restoring coaches, we always start from the outside, ensuring that the coach is weatherproof and watertight is a priority and saves doing work twice...
ACO 3 R.jpg
Tears of gratitude from autocoach no. 3453 after being saved from a fate worse than Thomas... (see a NYMR volunteer!)
ACO 1 R.jpg
ACO 2 R.jpg
Work progressing last week on the autocoach. With four of us (and others working on the autocar), we made good progress. Much of the old roof canvas was removed and John was kept busy trundling barrowloads of assorted debris to the skips.

On Saturday there was a big shunt in the top yard and as part of that, the power bogie was moved under the chassis, together with one of the lightweight Fox bogies.

The publicity stand is visiting Pickering on the 18th/19th August, though with a different team to normal. If you are in the area, come along to the Memorial Hall between 10 and 5 Saturday, 10 - 4 Sunday. The details of the exhibition are at http://sdrmweb.co.uk/Exhibition.php
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks for the update and looking forward to receiving the newsletter, can't wait to sample the Autocar
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Newsletter received this morning, hurrah!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Good. Here's a picture of one of the doors, showing internal construction.
ACO door.jpg
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

N gauge Autcar from Worsley Works is in the post, looking forward to building it once I have a suitable donor chassis!

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Found this unusual looking 1911 Leyland petrol-electric railcar, anyone know more about it ie who built for? Very unusual roof!

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1911EnV112-p132.jpg

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

From the chopper coupling and standard gauge, possibly Mexico?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ay up BB chopper coupling i thought it was a Margate tension lock.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, 52D!

Looks more like an N Gauge Rapido.....
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Found this unusual looking 1911 Leyland petrol-electric railcar, anyone know more about it ie who built for?
A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about Leyland buses, thinks that it is one built for Central Southern African Railways. If so, it had a 6 cylinder Leyland engine of 160 bhp @ 1000 rpm. It would run at speeds up to 50 mph and seated 42 passengers.

My friend is going to try and verify the details from the Leyland Society, if he gets around to it, I will let you know.

An early Pacer?

Solario
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

I've no ideas about the foreign railcar. I've flicked through a few Trackside books but no luck.

Work is progressing well, I will have a sort out soon and post a few photos. The two main workstreams are the engineering and the autocoach.

The main reason for tonight's post: Our AGM is on Sunday the 11th November, on the noon departure from Embsay. The official notification and paperwork will come out in October, but I thought I'd give advance notice.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Nice to hear progress is err.... progressing.

Have you recovered yet from your meeting with the Wallet?
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

[Shudder]... I'm down to two sessions a week and the psychiatrist is very pleased at my progress.
Powerunit.jpg
The big news... Cummins' powerplant. Bright, shiny and Tier 3a emissions compliant...
Engine Housing Pic.1454.jpg
This is the engine housing assembly. (Picture courtesy Peter van Houten). It has been subjected to load testing (pictures will be in our next newsletter, due October) and will house the powerplant above, in the engine room of the autocar.
30-08-2012 Chassis - Alan Chandler.jpg
A picture of the chassis (courtesy Alan Chandler). This has taken a lot of work and I hope we will have a more in depth article about it in our newsletter. There have been various modifications and repairs, but I need an engineer to explain it all!
Autocoach (SM).jpg
And one from Stephen Middleton, showing progress on the autocoach. The frame repairs are now complete and last week saw us pushing on with the panels, most of which are now primed. You can see the work on the torpedo vents and doors. We're currently working on some of the droplights which were in store, cleaning them up and replacing the glass before refitting them.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Good progress on all fronts! Well done to all!