NER SNOWPLOUGH 18

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER SNOWPLOUGH 18

Post by Bryan »

Not when I bought it.
Too late now unless I get one anyway.
I think the Medley model was of another version.
Offhand I think it is 7 versions of ploughs in 24 vehicles.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Back to the real thing, hope Brian isnt praying for a re-peat of last winter to try out the plough, however maybe just before the Santa trains would be nice and seasonable !!!

mr B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

But perhaps they should be used? When in excellent condition so that they won't suffer damage, of course.
It could be a good attraction for enthusiasts - plus a subject for DVD sales.

I know some of the US narrow gauge lines have been known to use their rotary plows because I've seen the film. Not on a regular basis (the economics of running in winter are the similar to the UK), but definitely enough to make a DVD or two!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

Just caught up with Ploughman's report on NER No 18 and am pleased to see the progress being made. I photographed its sister, No 20, at Darlington in March 1966 shortly after a repaint. Regarding the planking, all the photos I have shew it to be horizontal. Whilst I have not seen a GA, the Snow plough booklet prepared in 1969 for the North Eastern Railway Association reproduces the contemporary diagrams issued by the NER. All had horizontal planking. I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Dixie
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

richard wrote:But perhaps they should be used? When in excellent condition so that they won't suffer damage, of course.
It could be a good attraction for enthusiasts - plus a subject for DVD sales.

I know some of the US narrow gauge lines have been known to use their rotary plows because I've seen the film. Not on a regular basis (the economics of running in winter are the similar to the UK), but definitely enough to make a DVD or two!

Richard
do White Pass have a plow weekend every wintertime, also DRGW down south?

mr B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I understand both have operated plows but I don't know if they do it every winter. I think they're pretty much shut down in winter - there aren't that many tourists. None in Skagway, although Colorado would get the skiers.

I think Cumbres & Toltec might also have a plow? Last December on our New Mexico Grand Tour we passed through Chama (terminus for the Cumbres & Toltec) and it was a ghost town. All shut up for winter. (I thought it would be and we had a dog with us). Chama itself had little snow, but there was quite a bit of snow in the hills, daytime temperatures 10-20F, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Dixie wrote:Just caught up with Ploughman's report on NER No 18 and am pleased to see the progress being made. I photographed its sister, No 20, at Darlington in March 1966 shortly after a repaint. Regarding the planking, all the photos I have shew it to be horizontal. Whilst I have not seen a GA, the Snow plough booklet prepared in 1969 for the North Eastern Railway Association reproduces the contemporary diagrams issued by the NER. All had horizontal planking. I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Dixie
Dixie
Would it be possible to see a copy of any photos you may have of snowploughs.
I took the one attached at Beamish when I was given access to see number 20.
Take my word for it, it is a snowplough but getting any sort of shot in that building is very difficult.
Probably in a bit of a different state to when you saw it.

All the drawings of 18 - 20 that I have show Vertical planking but only a very few photos show this. All the rest show Horizontal planking.
Probability is that it was easier to construct a removeable panel from Horizontal.

Had a ride on it today, It was being shunted around the yard before going into Newbridge shed for a prolonged spell.
After 30 odd years outside on the NYMR it must be feeling spoilt after a year in a warm shed at Shildon.
Attachments
Number 20 at Beamish in 2005
Number 20 at Beamish in 2005
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

NER Snowplough 18 dating from 1909 returned to the NYMR late on wednesday, following completion of the first stage of its restoration.
The plough featured in the BTF film "Snowdrift at Bleath Ghyll"
The story of its restoration to date can be seen at
http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/index..._Snowplough-18
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Hi Bryan, just came across this, great stuff. Amazing looking vehicle too
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Thought I would post an update on progress.
After the Snowplough returned from Shildon RRNE the bodywork still required a lot of work.
Currently all the east side (RHS) has been replanked, 6 new skirt door panels made and fitted.
Both cab doors have been removed and attention given as required.
A new steel undertray has been fitted to the toe of the slope as the old one was totally shot.

The West side rebuild has been put on hold for the moment as time is pressing.
But I have gone ahead with the full repaint of the plough, 6 coats in all, but to a slightly lesser standard on the West side (LHS) As this will have to be done at a later date.

At the moment I am awaiting details from Kirkby Stephen for movement dates to the August Bank Holiday weekend 150th event.

Hopefully I will be ready by then.
Attachments
Signwriting in progress 24-7-11
Signwriting in progress 24-7-11
Part way through signwriting still to add allocation.
Part way through signwriting still to add allocation.
West side repaint gradually getting there.
West side repaint gradually getting there.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks for the update Bryan. After it goes to KSE for the 150th event, what is the plan for it?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Back to Pickering.
Then probably a return to its spot alongside the Turntable by the carpark.
Then after about a year or so when we have caught up with the backlog of work on the rest of the wagons in the civils fleet, such as the LNER Brake van 246710 which is very near completion.
I hope to carry on with the remaining body work on the West side. This will entail the replacement of all the planking below the plough slope and a large part of the framing behind the planking. As I have done on the other side.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Bryan

She is looking great, excellent work, can't wait to see her back in her old spot, it's not the same without her.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Its funny when you think back, ploughs always seemed to be around parked in the same place for what seemed years between uses.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Excellent work, are you praying for a white Christmas ??? :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.