New article: Kings Cross Station

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New article: Kings Cross Station

Post by richard »

I've just added a new article to the GNR section, about Kings Cross station:

http://www.lner.info/co/GNR/kingscross.shtml

The information that is out there, is surprisingly bitty. At the moment, I think the biggest gap is the lack of post-HST pictures.

Does anyone have a good modern (HST, Class91, or later) picture of Kings Cross that I could use? One looking southwards 'down the platforms' from the north showing Class 91s/etc at the platforms would be great. I have some like this in books, but copyright prohibits me from using them.

(personal preference would be for 'Swallow' Class 91s but that is purely because I like that livery; Modern 21st century liveries would be just as good for the article)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: New article: Kings Cross Station

Post by third-rail »

i have a couplle taken from goods wagon way but there is a bit to much ohle in the way and one taken from york road showing two 91s all in gner livery and a couple taken from the car park between kx and st pancras, i shall get my son to email them over at the weekend,as i have not managed to attache any at all yet
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

In today's post-privatisation world, Kings Cross sees a wide range of units in a wide range of liveries. Class 43 and Class 91 units continue to be common, but they are also joined by other types such as Voyagers, Super Voyagers, and Adelantes.

Uh, Voyagers and Super Voyagers have never served Kings Cross - Hull Trains used to use Pioneers but since moving to East Midland Trains, they no longer make a appearance.

However as well as finding Class 43s/91s on the LDHS, they are joined by the 180s with 313s/317s/321s/365s being used on the local services.

Just thought I clarify a mistake.
Rambler
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Rambler »

I don't take many pictures of the current railway, but I did take these when I saw my Dad off from KX in July 2006.
GNER electric at Kings Cross, July 2006.
GNER electric at Kings Cross, July 2006.
GNER HST at Kings Cross, July 2006.
GNER HST at Kings Cross, July 2006.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Rambler: Thanks - you'll receive a PM in a few minutes.

Ajax: Thanks. As I'm overseas these days, I don't see much of Kings Cross. Last time I was in August when I arrived in a non-descript EMU. So it serves me right for cribbing some present-day details from Wikipedia...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

3982.jpg
If you need a larger copy please let me know.....
Picture details:- 22/01/1998 - Front ends of 91001 and 91002 at Platforms 5 and 6, King's Cross station
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

3980.jpg
From a different angle... on the same date
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

3987.jpg
.... and a close up of the John Dowling's masterpiece of modern traction bogie design
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks brsince78 - I've sent a PM.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

richard wrote:
Ajax: Thanks. As I'm overseas these days, I don't see much of Kings Cross. Last time I was in August when I arrived in a non-descript EMU. So it serves me right for cribbing some present-day details from Wikipedia...

Richard
No problem, just helping as I usually do...
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Richard, you were lucky in one respect, you did manage to see the station working.
After being overseas for 15 years I dropped by to see the cleaned up site of my various misdeeds of many years ago, (making a smoke,blowing off at the valves, etc).
It was depressing to find the station closed, with a chalked notice referring to a signallers strike!
Haven't been there since.
Spamcan81
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Spamcan81 »

ajax103 wrote:In today's post-privatisation world, Kings Cross sees a wide range of units in a wide range of liveries. Class 43 and Class 91 units continue to be common, but they are also joined by other types such as Voyagers, Super Voyagers, and Adelantes.

Uh, Voyagers and Super Voyagers have never served Kings Cross - Hull Trains used to use Pioneers but since moving to East Midland Trains, they no longer make a appearance.

However as well as finding Class 43s/91s on the LDHS, they are joined by the 180s with 313s/317s/321s/365s being used on the local services.

Prior to the Pioneer units Hull Trains did use Class 170 units for a while.
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

Spamcan81 wrote:
ajax103 wrote:In today's post-privatisation world, Kings Cross sees a wide range of units in a wide range of liveries. Class 43 and Class 91 units continue to be common, but they are also joined by other types such as Voyagers, Super Voyagers, and Adelantes.

Prior to the Pioneer units Hull Trains did use Class 170 units for a while.
I know I was just making the point that the 220s/221s and the 222s are very different in view of the fact that the 222s interior is less cluttered then the 220s/221s due to more equipment being fitted under the boards.

And that while some could confuse the three as the 221 is basically the 220 but tilts and with a extra carriage, the 222 is still a new design based upon the older voyagers.

As to 170s being used, I am aware they were used but I'm just referring to the mistake of 220s still running into Kings Cross.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

what about the class 373 euro stars used on "the white rose"
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is it possible that a link to the opening sequence of "Get Carter" would suit here?