NYMR Br 30

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NYMR Br 30

Post by Bryan »

Thought I would copy this link across from the NYMR Unofficial site.

http://nymrunofficialforum.atfreeforum. ... t3095.html

Detail of the bridge move on Monday is included.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NYMR Br 30

Post by StevieG »

I think it would be nice to mention, when offering such links, that non-members of the host need to register before being able to view.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I forgot to check that sorry.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Sorry Bryan; Bit of an over-reaction on my part I think. Not a huge problem really, is it, and easy to overlook I expect.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

It's an interesting project. The bridge looks like it was strengthened in the past and probably should have been renewed years ago (BR days)... but then how many of our bridges are original? I would hazard a guess that most brick built structures are but i can think of very few steel/wrought iron structures that are. ECM1 106 (the nearest East Coast Mainline bridge to me) has been renewed twice in my memory..
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think that the Newark bridge over the Trent fall into that category as well
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Interstingley it seems the great stone viaducts of the ECML have not needed the same amount of work to keep them fit for the 21st century.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Just about every brick structure round here has had major repairs. I'll get some pictures when it warms up...
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Posted today by the NYMR at 14.30.

The first girder is out! The lift of the Up Side Girder took place at 14:30 today. This is somewhat behind schedule!

Yesterday saw the first piece of decking removed - the triangular piece that attached to the Up Side Girder but not right cross due to the skew of the bridge. This was lifted out by the 22T excavator which arrived on site earlier yesterday. The majority of Wednesday was taken up with further cutting - a second thermic lance arrived on site which the original took as its queue to break down! Further lances were sourced and the Kirov crane attached to the first girder. Further cuts were required this morning to allow the lift just over an hour ago.

Cutting now continues (bolts holding the deck to the centre girder have emerged as metal has been cut away) and the Up Deck is hoped to come out tomorrow. Further cutting will follow before the process is repeated on the Down Side (which has carried the track in NYMR ownership).

The Side Girder weighed in at 27 Tonnes, well within the capacity of the crane at the required reach.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

R. pike wrote:It's an interesting project. The bridge looks like it was strengthened in the past and probably should have been renewed years ago (BR days)... but then how many of our bridges are original? I would hazard a guess that most brick built structures are but i can think of very few steel/wrought iron structures that are. ECM1 106 (the nearest East Coast Mainline bridge to me) has been renewed twice in my memory..
Bridge 30 had a steel centre girder installed at an unknown date, early BR period description was: 'Centre girder steel, side girders wrought iron bottom flange, cast iron top flange, wrought iron cross girders, stone abutments, skew span 79ft 6in, 20ft 0in headway'.

Is that what it was like before the current renewal ?

And your bridge 106 at Cadwell, Richard, in early LNER days was described thus: 'Brick abutments cast iron girders under down and up fast. Widened on down side with cast iron girders in 1881 and reconstructed with steel girders, flat floor plates and longitudes in 1900, span 20ft 0in. Widened on up side in steel in 1898. New bedstones under up and down fast lines and pockets filled with concrete 1906'. I'm afraid I don't have much later information on GN bridges, so if you have any dates/descriptions of work done I'm interested.

Andy
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Latest film on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADALPEYtADk

also latest info received from site.

The waybeams and pieces of deck not attached to the side girder have been removed but the 2nd half of the deck poses a particular problem - it was attached to the centre girder (which is the underneath strengthener) by heavily rusted bolts and to the Up Side Girder but when the deck is cut from the side girder, this will be left more or less "balancing" on the abutments. In other word, as more of the bridge is dismantled, less remains to secure the rest until such time as it is lifted out. The angle of cuts between the Down Deck and Side Girder has needed to be carefully planned to ensure that the deck can come out without catching any remaining pieces. The Down Side Girder will be secured by steel ropes until it is its turn to be lifted. The crane is, of course, attached to the next section to be lifted before cutting starts.

Add this that all staff working on the cutting have to be attached to safety lines and harnesses and the steady rate of process is completely understandable.

The teams are having tomorrow off and the Down Side is now expected to be removed Monday.

Currently about a week behind. When the bridge is out and the abutments have been broken out to allow the modifications for the new main beams (150 tonnes of spoil are to come out), a better idea of how easily this will be caught up can be formulated.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just released on the NYMR forum

Hot news from site - the Bridge is out! The final part to go - the 1906 strengthening Girder, was lifted out under floodlights at approximately 18:35 and is probably just coming to rest on the ground as this is typed. It will remain attached to the crane tonight and then be moved further down the bank towards Grosmont (it will be rested north of Bridge 32) tomorrow.

Down Side Girder was 1 tonne heavier than Up (28T), decks about 10 tonnes and final, Central Girder 33 tonnes - whole structure about 110 tonnes plus.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

AndyRush wrote:
R. pike wrote:It's an interesting project. The bridge looks like it was strengthened in the past and probably should have been renewed years ago (BR days)... but then how many of our bridges are original? I would hazard a guess that most brick built structures are but i can think of very few steel/wrought iron structures that are. ECM1 106 (the nearest East Coast Mainline bridge to me) has been renewed twice in my memory..
Bridge 30 had a steel centre girder installed at an unknown date, early BR period description was: 'Centre girder steel, side girders wrought iron bottom flange, cast iron top flange, wrought iron cross girders, stone abutments, skew span 79ft 6in, 20ft 0in headway'.

Is that what it was like before the current renewal ?

And your bridge 106 at Cadwell, Richard, in early LNER days was described thus: 'Brick abutments cast iron girders under down and up fast. Widened on down side with cast iron girders in 1881 and reconstructed with steel girders, flat floor plates and longitudes in 1900, span 20ft 0in. Widened on up side in steel in 1898. New bedstones under up and down fast lines and pockets filled with concrete 1906'. I'm afraid I don't have much later information on GN bridges, so if you have any dates/descriptions of work done I'm interested.

Andy

I walked from Goathland to Grosmont a couple of years ago and stopped to look at br30. I didn't think it would be long before it needed renewal. The central girder underneath was quite interesting to look at. My lad was five at the time and he will never forget that walk. I think he'd lost the will to live by the end of it.

Br106 at Cadwell was renewed in the 1970's and my guess the wrought iron spans were removed then and replaced by concrete beams. I think the old spans were dumped in the Farm (Hitchin Stockyard) and stayed there till the yard closed. Latterly the concrete beams became adorned with many painted marks on the underside and it's clear the structure was being closely monitored. Around 2 years ago these beams were renewed by more of the same over a weekend engineering blockade.