New Article: Railway Bridges around Newcastle

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Article: Railway Bridges around Newcastle

Post by richard »

Thank you to Malcolm Peirson for writing a new article for the NER section, concerning the Railway Bridges around Newcastle:

http://www.lner.info/co/NER/newcastle/bridges.shtml

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: New Article: Railway Bridges around Newcastle

Post by redtoon1892 »

A neat addition to the index.
Thomas Harrison, the railway engineer mentioned in the text is buried in Whitburn cemetery behind Cricket Lodge, his first wife is buried on his right and his second wife on his left in a family plot.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

A very interesting artical. I like the idea of the proposed new bridge. There was also a proposal for a rail tunnel under the Tyne from North to South Shields as well.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The proposed bridge was part of the unbuilt Newcastle avoiding line.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Avoid Newcastle! Sacrilage!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thank you to George Moffat (52D) for providing some information about the Wiebeking System which I have added to the article. The Wiebeking System was the laminated arch system initially used for the Willington and Ouseburn viaducts, as well as the Kings Cross arches.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

I have had a passing interest in the NER proposals to by-pass Newcastle for some time. I have seen a six inch to the mile OS map - prepared by the NER/LNER - with the proposed line and its various connections to other lines superimposed. There is no indication as to how the Tynemouth and Riverside lines would be crossed by the new line. However if the crossings were to be on the level, the by-pass would have given the operating department a considerable headache.

National Archives have some information on this line and there are at least seven different outline drawings of bridges for the proposed crossing of the River Tyne. The drawings were prepared between 1919 and 1920 by the NER Engineers Office at York.

Whilst the NER/LNER purchased the land needed, much housing development took place on each side of the proposed line, between the Wars making the proposed line very visible from the air. I suspect that the alignment today will no longer be so evident.

I was interested to note the proposed alignment south of the Tyne. The map I have referred to stops short at Pelaw!

I would appreciate more information on this by-pass.

Chris D