Proposal to re-open the Alnwick branch

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Proposal to re-open the Alnwick branch

Post by PinzaC55 »

60041 wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:As a matter of interest what is the total estimated cost of - New Alnwick station, associated new line and earthworks and associated roadworks required? Ballpark figure?
(Very) rough costing are;
Initial development of station site and associated roadworks: £145,000.
Construction of line to bridge 6: £260,000
Construction of line to Greenrigg: £366,000
Interesting. The costs for the station sound unusually cheap and the costs for the line to Greenrigg sound unusually expensive.

How much would the road bridge cost?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

The costings for the station site are for the initial development and include only the basic station buildings and track layout. A portion of the cost of the section to bridge 6 also covers further development of the station site. We already posess a steel framed shed that can be rebuilt on site to provide workshop accomodation, and have the wooden booking office from Eyrton Road (ex GCR) that will be sited on the platform. Much of the groundwork will be done by an AVR member who has his own civil engineering business, and we have been offered large quantities of hardcore at a very favourable price. The costs for the Greenrigg section include work on the 7 arch Cawledge Viaduct which needs waterproofing and some brickwork repairs to the arches.
The 2 bridges were costed in the late '90s at about £900,000 and £1.5M.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Tonight the AVR secretary issued the following statement:
"I'm very pleased to announce that the LEADER Northumberland Coast and Lowlands Action Group have approved our application and have offered to grant the Aln Valley Railway project £129,068." Mark Hayton, Hon Sec. AVRS.

Obviously we have a long way to go, but this will guarantee the completion of phase 1 of the project. We are still waiting to sign the lease for the Lionheart site but this is in hand and hopefully we will be able to move onto the site early next spring and start work immediately.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

I really will have to get better spectacles. I thought it read Amlwch Branch! :P
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Work is proceeding on the project, it is hoped to have some track down this summer. In the meantime, we have had some good news concerning the recent grant applications:
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east ... -28171278/
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I hear one of your members has purchased a railcar that was at Embsay for a while, a demonstrator of 'railbus' technology and a prototype of the 'Pacer' units. It's had a peripatetic history, I hope you can make use of it.

There's an article in this week's Railway Herald about progress http://www.rharchive.info/Issue258.pdf
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Autocar Publicity wrote:I hear one of your members has purchased a railcar that was at Embsay for a while, a demonstrator of 'railbus' technology and a prototype of the 'Pacer' units. It's had a peripatetic history, I hope you can make use of it.
Yes RB 004; it will hopefully keep going long enough until we can borrow the Autocar :)