The LNER just got a little longer....

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

The LNER just got a little longer....

Post by Norfolkman »

The North Norfolk Railway's Eastern Extension is nearly complete. Over the weekend 20th/21st February the track was laid across Station Road in Sheringham. The NNR currently reaches to within about 20 feet of the end of the Network Rail line to Sheringham. The crossing panels were being installed today. Although delayed from last weekend, the physical connection should take place this coming weekend. A few pictures from last weekend attached. Roll on 11th of March when 70013 crosses to the NNR.

Norfolkman (aka Steve A)
Attachments
NNR 2010-02-21 002 (Lo-Res+C).jpg
NNR 2010-02-21 007 (Lo-Res + C).jpg
NNR 2010-02-21 012 (Lo-Res + C).jpg
NNR 2010-02-21 018 (Lo-Res + C).jpg
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: The LNER just got a little longer....

Post by R. pike »

Hi Norfolkman. I wish you every success with making our railway network longer. My own efforts down the road helped to add 11 miles a few years ago. If there is anything i can do to help just let me know.
Paul B
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Paul B »

Great news - and yet another reason to visit the NNR some time this year! (I was last there when I was in my mid-20's... :shock: and that is too long ago!!)
LNER fan in the home of the GWR!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I lengthened the NYMR by 6 inch over Christmas with track realignment at Newtondale.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Some very pleasant memories of Sheringham, Cromer & Holt - Hope that you are looking after our Worsdell C Class/J21 - Is it on any web-site?

Regards

Greedy Boards 8)
North Eastern Matters
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

And hopefully longer still waverley-route-first-sod-cut-t3339.html
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Apologies to "Norfolkman", and his successive 'post'-ers in this topic, for just lately starting the seemingly competing topic "Level Crossing Reinstatement" - (http://www.lner.info/forums/level-cros ... 3344.html), in this forum.

I have not long returned from a holiday, and have been trying to catch up with all the unread posts of the last two weeks or so, in several stages, during which time, the level crossing news which I posted, came from a separate NNR source, and I thought it worth sharing, thereby unwittingly, in a sense duplicating the "The LNER Just Got A Little Longer" topic, before my 'catching up' had progressed far enough to finding this earlier topic here on the same subject myself.

Sorry Steve.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
beejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by beejay »

To quote from the RYTC website on 'The Broadsman'.

At Norwich our steam hauled locomotive will take on water and a diesel locomotive will couple on to the back of the train and haul us onto the Bittern Line at Whittingham Junction.
-----
From Cromer, ‘Oliver Cromwell’ will haul our train through West Runton. As we approach Sheringham station our train will be part of the formal opening celebrations of the new crossing (we will be the first train across for 40 years).Following this we continue through to Weybourne and Holt. We retrace our steps back to Sheringham and here we change over passengers.

Due to the length restriction on the Sheringham Branch customers will have the choice of travelling outward from Norwich to Sheringham by our special steam train or from Sheringham to Norwich but not both.[/quote]

Is this due to the length of run-round at Cromer? If so is the train travelling in two parts from Norwich?
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

Today (Sunday 7th March) the North Norfolk Railway had DRS 37194 christen the new level crossing at Sheringham ahead of 70013 Oliver Cromwell's historic visit this coming Thursday. The final sign-off of the paperwork was received from Network Rail on Friday permitting an overnight possession overnight Saturday 6th/Sunday 7th March. The final 17 metres were all that remained as the main part of the crossing had been installed 20th/21st February. The final connection was made in the early hours this morning. At 12.40 37194 crossed from Network Rail to the North Norfolk Railway. The first crossing since 1975 (when a temporary link was installed for one weekend), and the connection is the first permanent connection since the crossing was lifted by BR on 28th January 1970.

In answer to beejay, yes the limit of 5 coaches is due to signalling (not track) restrictions at Cromer. Plans are in hand to see what can be done to increase the capacity.

And to Greedy Boards - there should be some very good news about the J21 in the not too distant near future.

Regards

Norfolkman

aka Steve A
Attachments
NNR 2010-03-07 013 (Lo-Res - Copyright).jpg
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Norfolkman wrote: In answer to beejay, yes the limit of 5 coaches is due to signalling (not track) restrictions at Cromer. Plans are in hand to see what can be done to increase the capacity.

Regards

Norfolkman

aka Steve A
In the late 70s I was on an excursion from Manchester to the N NR
We passed Norwich rode as far as Wroxham then had to detrain on to a fleet of coaches due to train length.
beejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by beejay »

Norfolkman
Hi Steve
Sorry to bother you again but I'm still puzzled as to how the passengers are going to be split into two groups and transported to Sheringham.
Is the train splitting at Norwich, or somewhere along the Bittern Line, and half being hauled by diesel, or are half the passengers travelling by road to Sheringham?
Regards Bob
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

The train will be split at Norwich. Half the passengers will travel to Holt by road where they will be taken by train (Quads + N7 + N2) to Sheringham where they will witness 70013 bringing five coaches + diesel across the crossing. They will then be taken by road to Holt to witness 70013 arriving there. They will then swap with the 250 on the train and travel back to Norwich by train whilst the others will return by road. This ensures all passengers are hauled by steam over the NNR and get to travel across the crossing. On the return trip the diesel will haul the train from Holt to Cromer with 70013 on the rear.

Steve
beejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by beejay »

Steve
Many thanks for that. All is now clear.
Regards Bob
Eastern_Lad
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eastern_Lad »

I hope to get out and see this crossing tomorrow, however I am wondering how crowded the area will (and where public veiwing will be) be and what time it will pass through wroxham in the afternoon, im guessing it will be around 12:20 if its departing Norwich at 12:09 as this way if I can't get a decent glimpse of it at the nnr I'll have something to remember of it from seeing it on the way?
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Ollie came through Baldock earlier like it was heading for the moon. There was an EE type 3 tied on the back..