Tornado + Mallard

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Tornado + Mallard

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Jay-why the hell is Mallard going to Shildon-in the Railway Press,it says it will be there for an "Unspecified length of time".Why??Why not send something else?And,while you're there,why is "Winston Churchill" always in darkness?I'd love to get a decent photo of her!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
jay
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by jay »

Ferrybridge Flyer wrote:Jay-why the hell is Mallard going to Shildon-in the Railway Press,it says it will be there for an "Unspecified length of time".Why??Why not send something else?And,while you're there,why is "Winston Churchill" always in darkness?I'd love to get a decent photo of her!!

Why shouldn't she? Mallard is moving from one national railway museum site to another, plus, as has already been said on here, it will give shildon a boost. Don't think that this move has been decided over tea break, its has been well thought through.

As to winston churchill, I have no idea, but something has to go there, and the same could be said for the black five!!!
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

http://nrm.org.uk/AboutUs/PressOffice/P ... llard.aspx

'The space currently occupied by the mighty blue Mallard will be taken by South Eastern & Chatham Railway steam locomotive, No.737 and Pullman Car Company First Class carriage, Topaz.'
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Some bright spark came up with the idea of building a perspex model of a ferry on the turntable,whilst they refurbish the great hall, I have no idea why we need a expensive perspex ferry, that blocks the turntable, from it's proper use! without having to dismantle half the ferry???
In my eyes all that wasted time and money could have been spent, on returning 'Mallard' or 'Green Arrow' to traffic, Oh Dear
manna
Thanks v.m. manna.
By (sort of) half chance, just received the latest issue of the 4472 Club newsletter, which also mentions the perspex ferry.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

silver fox wrote:http://nrm.org.uk/AboutUs/PressOffice/P ... llard.aspx

'The space currently occupied by the mighty blue Mallard will be taken by South Eastern & Chatham Railway steam locomotive, No.737 .'
Another one time Tweedmouth resident!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tweedmouth shed has played host to all the big four plus WD, BR and possibly American locos but the last one needs to be confirmed. I will see if i can find a pic of the SECR thing i have a couple of Southern locos on shed but im not sure if thats the one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I had an email from thhe NRM they say 2 years for the duck. Might make me go there actually so as to see 4771 as well.

Jay- there is a black 5 in there too? I was there a year or so ago and I didn't even see it.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
jay
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by jay »

Yer its on the far side at the opposite end to churchill, number 5000 I think.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Just an observation, back in the eighties whilst her boiler certificate had quite some time to run, Mallard was taken off the mainline ostensibly because of complaints from NRM visitors that on occasions she was not on display.

I wonder if the same will happen?
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Solario: I am pretty certain that there will be complaints from visitors to York regarding Mallard's absence. In the mid 1980s when Mallard was restored in order to celebrate the 50th anniversary of her record breaking run the boiler was only certificated for a certain number of outings in order to keep down the cost of repairs. I think the number may have been some 26. When she was once again taken out of traffic in 1988 I believe she had already exceeded this number slightly.
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

I was very fortunate in October 1986 to see the three LNER Pacifics at Princes Risborough.

Sir Nigel Gresley
Mallard
Flying Scotsman.

Mallard came back in the dark, looking and sounding good, given the money wasted on the A3 it would have been much better to have Mallard back with us and at least it would be available to a larger percentage of the population.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Yes, Mallard was only slightly overhauled, and was very limited, but times have changed, and all that is original, would now have to go if they steamed her now, and why should they? there are 3 other A4s!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Stembok: I stand corrected! Thank you.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

silver fox wrote:Yes, Mallard was only slightly overhauled, and was very limited, but times have changed, and all that is original, would now have to go if they steamed her now, and why should they? there are 3 other A4s!
Mallard 50 - 1988 - last reason for overhaul
Mallard 75 - 2013 - overhaul for use on the main-line again - unlikely
Mallard 100 - 2038 - I shall be pushing up the daisies, probably, but it is a nice thought that I may see her out on the ECML again in my dotage!!
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

brsince78 wrote:
silver fox wrote:Yes, Mallard was only slightly overhauled, and was very limited, but times have changed, and all that is original, would now have to go if they steamed her now, and why should they? there are 3 other A4s!
Mallard 50 - 1988 - last reason for overhaul
Mallard 75 - 2013 - overhaul for use on the main-line again - unlikely
Mallard 100 - 2038 - I shall be pushing up the daisies, probably, but it is a nice thought that I may see her out on the ECML again in my dotage!!
mallard still in the nrm workshop men appear to be working on its motion and front bogie ,only two of scotsmans drivers visable wed 9-6-10