Locomotion wins access award

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Locomotion wins access award

Post by 61070 »

I've just seen this on the Motability website.

"Locomotion: the National Railway Museum at Shildon, County Durham, was yesterday named as the Best Free Venue in the UK in the first ever Rough Guide to Accessible Britain Awards . Locomotion is one of five tourist attractions in the UK that have gone above and beyond to provide accessible, inspirational and inclusive days out.

Find out here why Locomotion: the National Railway Museum at Shildon was a worthy winner:

http://www.accessibleguide.co.uk/guide/ ... inner.html "
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Locomotion wins access award

Post by giner »

Thanks for the link, 61070. I had a look at Shildon's website, it looks like a wonderful facility. I've only ever been to the NRM at York on a visit home some years ago. Next time I'm over, I've got to make a point of getting up to Shildon. Cheers, Giner.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Hello giner,

Locomotion's usually best visted on an an event day - it can be a bit lacking in atmosphere otherwise, although if you prefer to study and contemplate the exhibits in peace and quiet then ignore that advice. If travelling by road it's a good idea to have a satnav, or someone to navigate, because it really is the world's most poorly signposted national museum. From some directions the roadsigns don't even point you to Shildon until you're pretty much on top of the place; then, eventually, you pick up brown (tourist) signs for Locomotion itself.

If interested there's also a little-known privately run lorry museum in Shildon that's worth a look: http://www.vintagecommercials.co.uk/museum.html
Sarah
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Sarah »

I live in Shildon and it amazing how many people you see parked along the road side near the vintage vehicle museum because the carpark that is right next to the museum doesn't seem to be sign posted at all.

on the up side, there are a couple of good events coming up.

Tornado will be on display inside Locomotion's Collection Building from Monday April 26 to Friday April 30.

and then

North-Eastern Giants Of Steam gala event 01 May 2010 - 03 May 2010

looking forward to these