A1 Trust announces P2 feasibility study

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A1 Trust announces P2 feasability study

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

coachmann wrote:Although Crew probably had the best boilers
:roll: Now there's a completely unbiased, non-partisan view from a man with no alliegance whatsoever to the LMS........ Says who :?:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

coachmann wrote:
....And of course other railways had their trials ,tribulations and imperfections as regards boiler design and layout.
Although Crew probably had the best boilers:
I'm not certain that's true! :? I will admit freely I was not around to witness it first hand, but absolutely nothing I've read could provide evidence towards that. If anything the best boilers by BR days were those on the Bulleid Pacifics...?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Simierski wrote:
coachmann wrote:
....And of course other railways had their trials ,tribulations and imperfections as regards boiler design and layout.
Although Crew probably had the best boilers:
I'm not certain that's true! :? I will admit freely I was not around to witness it first hand, but absolutely nothing I've read could provide evidence towards that. If anything the best boilers by BR days were those on the Bulleid Pacifics...?

Who was HNGs pupil anyway so lets all chill and relax the P2 project has my attention now.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

There is now an item on the BBC website -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8655914.stm
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

In your drive to show your LNER alleagance, you completely missed my point. Never mind.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

coachmann wrote:In your drive to show your LNER alleagance, you completely missed my point. Never mind.
My apologies coach - but...? :?

Would you mind clarifying your point for the uninitiated?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I honestly don't see your point. Sorry.
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

My original response was to this, the fact that other railways had trials and trbulation with boilers etc and yet it hardly mattered in the end. The Black Five was a rolling test-bed for boiler 'improvements & experiments' yet regardless of type (domeless verticle thoatplate, sloping throatplate, domed, dome at forward position, long chimneys/short chimneys), the 1934 boiler stood beside the postwar Ivatt in 1968 at the end of steam.

Crewe boilers probably being the best, the key word being probably.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

coachmann wrote:
My original response was to this, the fact that other railways had trials and trbulation with boilers etc and yet it hardly mattered in the end. The Black Five was a rolling test-bed for boiler 'improvements & experiments' yet regardless of type (domeless verticle thoatplate, sloping throatplate, domed, dome at forward position, long chimneys/short chimneys), the 1934 boiler stood beside the postwar Ivatt in 1968 at the end of steam.

Ah, thank you. Fair point. :)
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

Now there's a completely unbiased, non-partisan view from a man with no alliegance whatsoever to the LMS....
And me born in Hyde, Cheshire, on the LNER. :lol:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

coachmann wrote:

Just to add to this as it's a thought I had after the event, so to speak...

Not only that, but the "ultimate" black fives - Ivatt boiler, Caprotti valve gear, double chimney - were they not one of the first black fives to go? Where as you stated, the original 1934 boiler/locomotive combinations were still working up to the end of steam?
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

The last two 'ultimate' Black Fives of 1951 went in Autumn 1965 & January 66. M4763 carried apple green....I mention this to reduce the impact of hijacking the thread. :wink:

Getting back to the P2, the heading picture is how many people remember 2001, but it only ran like this for barely 4 years and ran with an A4 style wedge front for 6 years.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

coachmann wrote:
Now there's a completely unbiased, non-partisan view from a man with no alliegance whatsoever to the LMS....
And me born in Hyde, Cheshire, on the LNER. :lol:
Excuse the sarcastic humour, but I did have a friend who never missed a chance to claim that everything the LMS had, from Duchess Pacifics to coat buttons, was better than anything on any other railway.......
I did, incidentally, grasp the point you made about "old" boiler designs continuing to be repaired and re-fitted to locos long after the supposedly better new ones had appeared. What is "better" depends upon what you want it to do, and how much it is going to cost to change from what you already have!
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Still say the P2's were better suited, to the KX to Newcastle mainline, long staights and banks (Stoke).
Anyway What are we going to call it, a Scottish name! in keeping with the rest of the class????-------Gorden Brown !!!
manna :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

By coincidence in the last few minutes I just started a new thread with some more serious names (Alex Salmond being another one to file alongside Gordon Brown in the 'rejected' box!)

The thread is here:

so-what-shall-the-new-p2-be-called-t3630.html

I think this thread has run its course for "news". Talk of Black 5 boilers and principles boiler evolution isn't really news and should probably be continued in another folder.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Alex Salmond - The man who would be king, perish the thought of any politicians name being used.
As the original names are High Scottish Office themed apart from Mons Meg maybe The Lord Advocate, The Lord Chamberlain, The Knight Marischal, Lord Lyon King of Arms or Dean of the Thistle.