A1 Trust announces P2 feasibility study

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A1 Trust announces P2 feasability study

Post by richard »

redtoon: We came to the same initial thought and quickly rejected it!
My name son the other thread are much more in keeping I think. No modern politicians but some local colour.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

] And of course other railways had their trials ,tribulations and imperfections as regards boiler design and layout[/quote]
When making this point I was thinking primarily of the LMS and the problems and modifications in the early days with the boilers of the Princess Royals and later with the Jubilees. In the first case Stanier perhaps did not realise that GWR practice did not translate directly and unchanged into an LMS setting and the Jubilee boilers needed considerable modification, at no small capital cost before being deemed acceptable. Despite the claimed advantages of the Swindon and Crewe design of boilers, which were more expensive to construct, the Doncaster boiler designs showed themselves to be competitive and cost efficient repair wise, a point made recently by Peter Townend. Indeed the Peppercorn A1 was the most cost efficient class 8 engine repair wise of all of the pre-nationalisation railways and by some margin.
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

Does anyone know whatever happened to the plan to build a P2 at Doncaster, when Tornado went to Darlington there were plans to construct a V2 also. not heard anything in a long time but It would be interesting to see a P2. Shame nobody has thought about the viability of a V1 or V3.
dlester
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by dlester »

Although there's been much discussion about the P2 problems, there's -- so far -- been no discussion of the causes. The problem seems to have been hot boxes on the leading axle; to me this seems to imply that the double swing link pony truck is at fault. This was implicated in the 1946 V2 accident at Hatfield which forced the introduction of helical spring side control on the V2s.

So, with a re-designed pony truck, roller bearings on the driving wheel axles, and properly calculated slides on the Cartazzi's, we could imagine the P2 to be the success that eluded Sir Nigel.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

dlester wrote:Although there's been much discussion about the P2 problems, there's -- so far -- been no discussion of the causes. The problem seems to have been hot boxes on the leading axle;
The problem also involved broken crank axles
to me this seems to imply that the double swing link pony truck is at fault. This was implicated in the 1946 V2 accident at Hatfield which forced the introduction of helical spring side control on the V2s.
Yep, the double swing links were one of the patents that Gresley held and obtained royalty payments from the LNER.