New Build G5

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: New Build G5

Post by Rlangham »

Here's the photos of the G5 Bogie at NRM Shildon

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Any further news on this project?
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

No further newsletter available online since about January... has anyone got any news?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

No real news except that the bogie wasn't visible at Shildon today, plus they're selling a very nice Gomm badge of a G5 in NER green in the shop

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think there is an open day at RRNE Shildon this weekend. Some new information might turn up there.
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

Dad and I were exhibiting Boxer's Yard at the RRNE Open Day. The G5 bogie was there, as well as the Westinghouse pump. I took a few photos with my phone, I'll try to upload them to my site sometime this week and post the URL here. I forgot to ask if the pump was original or a rebuild.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Apologies for drawing on this and slightly drifting off topic, but considering scratchbuild parts with moulds etc are quite easy to make, it seems that creating a monoblock cylinder mould for Green Arrow would be easy and relatively cheap, then if need be, she could have a new cylinder block for every restoration. The only other problem then is her super heater tubes, which I know nothing about in terms of restoration costs etc.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The pattern for the monobloc is the problem with Green Arrow. OK - let me put it this way. You have one casting containing all three cylinders and the steam passages to them as well as fitting over the frame plates which are continuous from just behined the front buffer plank to just behind the rear coupled axle. That's one very complex piece of pattern making and I'm not entirely sure that the skills to make such a pattern still exist. The fact that BR rebuilt many of them with three separate cylinders along the lines of the A3s 60 years ago is an indicator of how hard the pattern would be to make.

As for superheater elements, they're just steel tube bent to a pattern. They're easy! The monobloc - that's hard!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Aha, how stupid of me, I forgot all about steam passages :oops:

I don't see why the NRM just dosen't do what Br did (I could go on about how little of 4472 is still there, but I wont).

Had a very long, good look at the ol girl today and 4771's in very good condition :mrgreen:

I did notice that the central cylinder con rod isn't attached though.
Last edited by 60800 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The NRM seem to confuse steam locos with classis cars and are rabid about "authenticity."

Except where the "cash cow class" No 4472 is concerned.... :roll:

Surely someone has the wit to do it? I'd rather see ANY engine in steam rather than stuffed and mounted in a museum. Even something GWR! :shock:

Bet you never thought I'd say that, did you?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

I have heard it said that it would easier to fabricate a new monoblock than cast it. (This was said to me when I was making the cab floor of Tornado). And this would be acceptable to the NRM as they would still have the original casting to put back later if need be. 46229 had a smaller cab for running under the wires so these kind of compromises must be ok.

Sawdust.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Blink Bonny wrote: I'd rather see ANY engine in steam rather than stuffed and mounted in a museum. Even something GWR! :shock:

Bet you never thought I'd say that, did you?
I would love to see Lode Star moving under her own steam :oops:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

We're wandering a little from the G5, here... :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Would love to see the G5 in steam then :mrgreen:
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Jades wrote:Dad and I were exhibiting Boxer's Yard at the RRNE Open Day. The G5 bogie was there, as well as the Westinghouse pump. I took a few photos with my phone, I'll try to upload them to my site sometime this week and post the URL here. I forgot to ask if the pump was original or a rebuild.
Hi Jades, was there any information as how far the build has progressed now?