New Build G5

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mackemmodeller
NER Y7 0-4-0T

New Build G5

Post by mackemmodeller »

I don't know whether many people know, but a new G5/NER Class O is being built at Darlington.

It seems to have slipped under the radar of most people and certainly does not get the publicity that others, like Tornado or the Patriot, attract. However, progress seems to be fairly solid. From what I hear the boiler is nearly complete, the frames are cut, the bogie is virtually finished (just needs painting) and the cylinders are cast & machines and are ready to go. I belive that it is to be finished as a Class O in NER lined green.

I belive that there are only about 6 /7 people involved and it seems like a hell of alot of progress for such a small team.

As far as my information goes it will be used on the Weardale and Wensleydale Railways at first but I it appears that the NYMR are also interested. It would look great in front of the NER coach at Tanfield or coupled up to NELPG's J72.

They have a web site (http://www.g5locomotive.co.uk) that shows progress.

Hopefully this will redress the imbalance in LNER locomotives running in the near future.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Build G5

Post by richard »

Yes we've had a few posts on it here. Although they are seeking larger sponsors/investors, you can now sponsor smaller components like boiler tubes and brake blocks. A flyer was sent out with the latest NERA journal, and a sponsorship form can be found on the G5 website.

I understand the public announcement of the completion of a major component is due soonish.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
hyperion
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by hyperion »

Had a talk at a NERA York meeting about her oooooooooooo coupla years ago - before they'd started. I've seen them appealing since at Barrow Hill. I've got a brochure with last edition North Eastern Express and they're asking for component sponsorship, you pay half they'll pay the other is the plan. E.g. boiler tube; £60, Piston ring; £50, Brake block; £75.

Lovely little engines, I remember them at Northallerton and mostly at Bishop Auckland, I'm saving up ! See marketing@g5locomotive.co.uk

mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Firemen loved them, nowt in the grate and a fullhead of steam.

mr B
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Going slightly off the subject but remaining with the G5 class, they were introduced to supercede the A class 2-4-2Ts how did they compare re tractive effort,range and a general comparison. The ex NER 2-4-2s had all gone by about 1930s yet the GER variant soldiered on a lot longer.
There is also a scheme to replicate the GER 2-4-2T with minor alterations to the drawings we could have an A as well as an O.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There has just been an interim newsletter from the G5 Locomotive Co Ltd.

The bogie is nearing completion and only requires a small amount of machining followed by painting by Rail Restorations.
When completed, the bogie will stay at Shildon and be displayed at Locomotion until next year.
Work will then switch back to the boiler.

Tyres for the driving wheels have also arrived, and they're currently looking for a company to cast the driving wheels.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Latest newsletter has arrived: The bogie has been completed and is with Rail Restorations (NE) for painting. It is due to go on display at Locomotion from early January. They will be having a 'press event' at Locomotion to coincide with their 'Cab It' event.

The last of the stays are being fitted to the boiler - tubes will be added late in construction. Work has startde on the Westinghouse pump.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

This sounds great. I had seen this some time ago but had lost track of what was happening.

I hope the bogie is still at Locomotion till after May 2011 because I & my wife will be visiting from Australia.

Now I can hope that either Hornby or Bachmann decide to produce one to coincide with the building of the G5. They ran on the Ponteland line replacing the NE G6 BTP

Mark
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is the boiler still at RRNE at the other end of Shildon?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The newsletter says that Great Northern Steam had the boiler for a Lloyds inspection. It implies that GNS are the people who are fitting the stays, main steam pipe and front tube plate. GNS are also the people working on the Westinghouse pump.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mason Paul
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mason Paul »

My Gerat Uncle, George Mason, drove one of these on the Wannie Line until it's closure in 1952, In the attached photo of the last train at Routhbury he's the one holding the chalk-board with the farewell message on it. Part of the line into Otterburn and Reedsdale satyed open for about 5 more years before the finial closure when he and the loco were transverse to duties at the old North Blyth sheds, Sadly ALL, Wannie line, loco, Gorge and North Blyth sheds, long gone.

I would love to follow in his foot steps and drive one of these, one can dream
Attachments
Routhbury last train
Routhbury last train
I think loco number 65108
I think loco number 65108
Loco number 65727
Loco number 65727
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't think it is that far fetched. The G5 is one of the smaller new-build projects and is relying on larger investments from a smaller number of people. They also have quite a bit built. So it should be running in a few years time. Then you just need to get yourself passed as a driver, or take a "drive a loco for a day" course that just happens to be on the G5! :-) (that would require a certain amount of luck as particular locos might be substituted on the morning of the course)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I seem to remember reading somewhere the G5 when complete would be split between the Wensleydale Railway and the Weardale Railway, both branches being where the Class were based.

Could somebody verify this though.

As a volunteer on the Wensleydale Railway, this would be great news!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

According to the latest newsletter, the bogie has been handed over. Not much else to report, although limited edition prints of a drawing will be sold to raise further funds.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I've got a couple of photographs of the G5 bogie on display at NRM Shildon, i'll have to upload it in a few days
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask