Royal Border Bridge

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Royal Border Bridge

Post by 52D »

I dont know how many of you are aware that following the successful Stephenson festival last year in Berwick it was decided to floodlight the Royal Border Bridge. Not just any floodlights however but colour changing and programable floodlighting. There are a few video clips and pics available but there is to be a grand opening with fireworks and guest loco will be Tornado.
Me personally i like the idea of floodlighting and the effect that can be switched in so the lights chase a train across the bridge but i find the colours a bit too disco but that could be down to old father time marching on.
Anyone care to chuck in their ha'porth on the subject.

Links to pics and video to follow.

http://www.europealacarte.co.uk/blog/20 ... ick-tweed/
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Royal Border Bridge

Post by Bullhead »

My house overlooks the Royal Border Bridge and a couple of weeks ago I watched what was presumably a trial run of the floodlighting. At first I didn't realise what it was and was about to put the cork nervously back in the sauvignon blanc when the penny dropped. From where I was sitting (about a mile away) the effect was quite restrained, with the colours seeming to ripple gently along the underneath of the arches. Whether or not this is how it will appear when the system is fully operational I don't know, but I think it's a commendable initiative and will be watching with interest next week when it's switched on; I only hope that it's properly maintained, and doesn't end up falling into disrepair. I also assume that the train operators have satisfied themselves that there's no SPAD/station overrun risk as a result of driver distraction!
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Because of the snow, last night's switch-on of the Royal Border Bridge, and of Berwick's Christmas, illuminations was postponed.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

what...no autum leaf fall ? :D
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

mr B wrote:what...no autum leaf fall ? :D
No - just the Wrong Kind of Snow (about six inches of it).
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I thought that we were all supposed to cut down on unnecessary electricity use in order to "save the planet"? :P
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

The lights were finally turned on last night, after a day of festivities in Berwick and a (really excellent) firework display.