York Tea Rooms

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

York Tea Rooms

Post by PinzaC55 »

I just thought it might be worth mentioning that according to the York Press the York Model Railway has moved from the York Station Tea Rooms to Hemswell near Gainsborough Lincs. Apparently the shop will follow it at the end of February.
Network Rail are looking to let it out as a bar or restaurant and hope to strip it right back to restore the original interior.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: York Tea Rooms

Post by Dave »

I read that in the Press, what amazed me was it was still going till recently..I thought it had closed down years ago...shows how often I go to the station
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

One of the bizarre things about was that you entered through a side door - I guess they are restricted what they can do with it because of it's Listed status. I heard that the bar on the station (Coopers) pays £10,000 a month rent to EC so I guess the rates must have been equally extortionate.
woberty
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by woberty »

Slightly off the subject, but still York station.
When you go up the steps into Costas, there is an old station clock. With a White Yorkshire Rose and LNER lettering.
Does anyone know if this is the original and when was erected out of curiousity.
cheers
robert
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I'm pretty sure the clock was installed when the station was built.There's a photo of the station in "Britain's Rail Super Centres York" before the footbridge was installed with a train of 4 wheel coaches and it was already there then.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The latest news is that it is to be a real ale pub called the York Tap run by the same chain who run similar pubs at Sheffield and other stations. If you go past it now it is possible to see right through the building to the far side. The refurbishment is costing £200,000.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Sounds like a trip to York is on the cards.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Me too, but mainly just to see the restored interior. I go into Coopers bar regularly and last night at 20.00 there was just the barman and I....that's not unusual at that time of night except for Friday and Saturday night when the clubbers are going to Leeds. I fail to understand how the new bar will pay it's way given that there is little housing near the station? There was a plan a few years ago to fill the station with shops and turn half of Coopers into a Tesco or something similarly awful but the recession put an end to that, thankfully
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Hmm.

Real ale and a proper railway station. Lead on, Mcduff!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Sounds like a visit is on the cards for James May and Oz Clarke.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

To Let sign still in place today.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

You'd think someone would open a photo processing shop there.I'm surprised the NRM haven't started doing that to raise funds!! :D
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I was just talking to the manager of Coopers and he says the new bar will NOT DO FOOD and will be MORE EXPENSIVE than Coopers!! Sounds like the Tea Rooms will be an empty building later this year......
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Re my previous post it's worth mentioning that although the building has been stripped to an empty shell there's no sign of anything being done inside and a number of windows have been broken. Maybe the new owners have done their sums and had second thoughts? It has a large "TO LET" sign outside. :cry:
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

After a long long wait they finally pulled their fingers out and the place opened last week. It looks splendid inside and I went in tonight and it was full, which was surprising for a Monday night.