Tornado in serious strife

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Tornado in serious strife

Post by TonyM »

Tornado has had to be completely dismantled and the boiler/firebox sent back to Germany for rectification of serious cracks to the welds in the firebox backplate and frontplate also several stays to be replaced. The damage appears to have been caused by continuous heating and cooling
and short or relatively short runs.

TonyM
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tornado in serious strife

Post by richard »

Yes it has been discussed here before. Essentially a warranty repair due to far more heat/cool cycles than the originals received.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

However its out of warranty period I believe.
So the society have to stump up all the money.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

But how long before the same thing happens again?

I'm not sure about warranties, but sounds to me as though either it's not fit for purpose or there was a very bad miscalculation of the effects of many thermal cycles.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Read here:

http://railways.national-preservation.c ... do/page239

Some interesting links and photographs, along with discussion. The topic goes off the rails a few times, but for the most part its a decent, serious discussion.

I do wonder if this has all been blown up out of all proportion. As I said on Nat Pres and RMweb, we are dealing with what is essentially a prototype boiler - only the Bulleids are comparable and their boilers had the luxury of full locomotive works, fully staffed, with spares and repairs at their beck and call for their working lives.

In any event - calmly await events, and see how it all pans out.
34F
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 34F »

Its certainly not ideal for the A1 Trust but hopefully the problem will be resolved when the boiler returns from the Continent.

I think people are perhaps looking a little too gloomily at the whole situation. One of the worst things to do to a steam locomotive is continually heat it up and cool it down heat it up and cool it down so there was always going to be a risk of excellerated wear and tear on the boiler.

The locomotive is certainly used a lot more than it rests, for long trips up and down the country compared to some of its preserved peers, and with the modern rail network simply not set up for keeping steam locomotives in service day in and day out any new build steam locomotive that is used the way 60163 is, will probably have the same problems.
"Once A Railwayman ALWAYS A Railwayman....."
"The railways was more than a job, it was a way of life..."
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUdQwQU ... ture=feedf

THe above link shows quite clearly what you need to turn an engine round quickly. I realise it is for the other side (LMS) but ask for Richard's dispensation on this occassion for historical reference.

There is a great moment @ 9.39 when one of the fitters lights a cigarette off a hot rivet.

Tornado will be back in May, so will Flying Scotsman (well this yr). They are both supreme engineering acheivements and we are lucky to have them.

Simon.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Lovely link that CVR. The sheer number of people, and the short amount of time - 7 days - for a general overhaul! Incredible.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Very informative and enjoyable video, thanks for the link. Such a shame to think of all those lost skills though....
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Thanks for that, I have always wondered where that volume of people go to work now, you never see the sights of 2000 workers leaving all at once. Decending on the Pelton Arms. Glad it was enjoyed.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

There is another parallel here.

The Worth Valley put a steel 'box in 80002 believing that this would cure the firebox problems that probably stem from the engine's use as a stationary boiler. This left the inner plates grooved and also damaged the foundation ring. They then had, if anything, a worse experince with the steel 'box so a copper one was substituted. Job done.

I would have thought that the Germans, having many years of experience with steel 'boxes would have taken in the fundamental differences between the metallurgical properties of copper and steel and designed them in. With this in mind, surely the problems stem from the much greater number of steaming cycles that our engines go through these days. After all, in "the good ol' days" engines would be in steam more or less continuously from washout to washout, period of, I believe, 10 days to 2 weeks.

Good luck to yer, lads, and I hope Tornado will be back soon. Please.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I see from the list of railtours and workings that Tornado is not down for a single working north of York this year, so there is not much chance of those of us who live in the north getting to see the Brunswick Green livery. A bit disappointing, not all the contributors to the project live in the south, quite a few of us up here donated a lot of money too.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Good point,but it's early yet!!The "Great Britain" starting Sat 16th April,is down as two A4's on day one,"Bittern" and "Gresley".Anything could happen before then.Plus,the shuttles that the NRM are going to run between York and Shildon could yet feature "Tornado".There is also a big,big rumour that she may well appear on the Scarborough Spa Express.The A1Trust have apparently held talks over "doing a turn".We shall see!!!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!