4472 Back In Black

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AndyG
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: 4472 Back In Black

Post by AndyG »

A3 Spearmint wrote:103 on one side,cant remember the other as I don't have the magazine to hand.
502 although one part of the article shows 503!
Railway Magazine confirms it is 502.

Andy
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Slightly different aspect of the restoration work.
Found today on Britarch.

http://www.machinery-market.co.uk/?UAN=939
claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by claudh »

richard wrote:The black livery isn't the best for the A3s, but it will be a sight to see. good on them (for a while anyway!).

re. liveries in general, I think there is a lack of pre-Grouping liveries and even Grouping ones. Everything seems to be BR black - very boring.
For diesels I guess I have an attraction to corporate blue as I can just remember it. However, yes many of the diesels do look better in two tone green - eg. the Deltics.

Richard
Personally I think the Corporate Blue looked pretty good on the Deltics and that when Finsbury Park put the white window surrounds on its racehorses it became great.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Personally I think the Corporate Blue looked pretty good on the Deltics and that when Finsbury Park put the white window surrounds on its racehorses it became great.
I photographed a Deltic when they had just entered service in 1961 and they were no great shakes compared with the Pacifics, B16's and everything else on offer. But at least the two tone green was sympathetically designed for the body shape, unlike the utilarian uninspired corporate blue & yellow that was dowsed on everything as if we were in the midst of a war. No one welcomed the changes to the Deltics at the time, but we should have known future enthusiasts would think they looked good! Such is human nature. Afterall, I'm of a generation that prefers BR green to LNER green steam locos. :P
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

As a personal choice of liveries, im not old enough to remember LNER colours but do like apple green with Darlo trimmings. I find that BR green certainly suited the ex LNER locos. As the point raised above by coachman i do like two tone green on the Deltics and also the early livery with speed whiskers on the first generation DMUs.
I think the best carrier of corporate blue was the D4xx class.
Im looking forward to seeing Scotsman in black this should liven up some Forties Weekends on preserved lines.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I agree with Larry about the black livery and the two tone green deltics, but as far as 4472 is concerned, as 103 or whatever in black, I will not put my self out to go to see it! I do remember them dduring the War, but I cannot remember seeing any loco which looked attractive in that plain black livery - clean or otherwise.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

It must be the fashion of the moment. Britannia is here on the West Somerset Railway at the moment in unlined black and without nameplates - from a distance it looks like a 9F approaching!