4472 Back In Black

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

34F
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

4472 Back In Black

Post by 34F »

I have had a little look around and couldnt see this as a topic anywhere apologies if it is a repost.

The National Railway Museum are going to outshop "Flying Scotsman" in wartime black for a period before returning it to its more well known colour.

http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/~/link ... 355D2&_z=z

I have read somewhere on here before about this being an emotive subject amongst the railway enthusiast community.

I for one look forward to seeing it in wartime black sometimes the preservation movement can be a little conservative, for example look how many deisels are preserved in that ghastly BR corporarte blue compared to the very smart green or later liveries.
"Once A Railwayman ALWAYS A Railwayman....."
"The railways was more than a job, it was a way of life..."
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4472 Back In Black

Post by richard »

The black livery isn't the best for the A3s, but it will be a sight to see. good on them (for a while anyway!).

re. liveries in general, I think there is a lack of pre-Grouping liveries and even Grouping ones. Everything seems to be BR black - very boring.
For diesels I guess I have an attraction to corporate blue as I can just remember it. However, yes many of the diesels do look better in two tone green - eg. the Deltics.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

With smoke deflectors?
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Sounds good to me

Agree about the lack of pre-grouping and grouping liveries - I remember when Didcot finished the restoration of 2-6-0 5322 there was outcry it wasn't going into BR Green or Black, and they instead wanted to finish it in WW1 khaki, as the loco itself was painted when with the Railway Operating Department in France in WW1 after it was built in 1917
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
34F
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 34F »

Rlangham wrote:Sounds good to me

Agree about the lack of pre-grouping and grouping liveries - I remember when Didcot finished the restoration of 2-6-0 5322 there was outcry it wasn't going into BR Green or Black, and they instead wanted to finish it in WW1 khaki, as the loco itself was painted when with the Railway Operating Department in France in WW1 after it was built in 1917
Yes well they are a funny lot out West...

Some of the pre-grouping liveries do look a lot smarter than their Big Four replacements, locomotives painted in Caledonian Railways blue or SE&C green.
"Once A Railwayman ALWAYS A Railwayman....."
"The railways was more than a job, it was a way of life..."
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

Apparantly the smoke deflectors will be taken off whilst it's in black.

Keith
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Excellent cant wait to see it.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

What about the double chimney??

When is due back anyway ??

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

richard wrote:The black livery isn't the best for the A3s, but it will be a sight to see. good on them (for a while anyway!).

re. liveries in general, I think there is a lack of pre-Grouping liveries and even Grouping ones. Everything seems to be BR black - very boring.
For diesels I guess I have an attraction to corporate blue as I can just remember it. However, yes many of the diesels do look better in two tone green - eg. the Deltics.

Richard
'Flying Scotsman' had three numbers and was never an 'A3' in black
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

I think it's a great idea,and i can't wait to see it.And,of course if it makes some money for the NRM,then all the better.
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

JASd17: That is the kind of logic which has resulted in so many BR liveries. "Loco X with Modification Y never ran in livery Z". I still think it would be great to see the B12 in GER blue although a B12/3 never wore that livery (well except in the minds of Hornby!) ...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

richard wrote:JASd17: That is the kind of logic which has resulted in so many BR liveries. "Loco X with Modification Y never ran in livery Z". I still think it would be great to see the B12 in GER blue although a B12/3 never wore that livery (well except in the minds of Hornby!) ...

Richard
I am not that interested in the livery of Flying Scotsman in preservation. Just commenting on the history of the locomotive in LNER days, which I believe is logical.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Sure, but 100% authenticity is impossible, so some stretching is imho acceptable so that we can get some more interesting liveries. We have working locomotives covering abut a century so why not have liveries covering that century? Even the NRM have been known to do that - look at the Bouch '1001', which is in an early ornately lined NER green livery plus matching fittings but a later Worsdell boiler. The fittings and livery were re-applied post-withdrawal (going by S&D centenary photos, they were applied in the 1923-25 window by the LNER).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

It'll be a sanitised show seeing as a polished black A3 wont even resemble a loco operating in wartime conditions. Pure X-Factor, but enjoy. :lol:
A3 Spearmint
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by A3 Spearmint »

This months Steam Railway magazine has an artical about the livery change into war time black with NE on the tender, the loco will still have the double chimney but no smoke deflectors and two of her old numbers on her cabsides. 103 on one side,cant remember the other as I don't have the magazine to hand.
I agree that it would be a nice change with so many locos in BR black or green but maybe so many locos carry these liveries due to it being easier and cheaper to apply. Good to see the caley livery used on the strathspey railways caley loco it brings some brightness to the preserved railway movement compared with the usual BR liveries.
Interested in the NBR,LNER and shale works railways of central Scotland.