Re-instatement of Beverley to York line

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Re-instatement of Beverley to York line

Post by Bryan »

I think most of the calls to dual the road, at least, will come from the Road Hauliers heading from the docks to the A1 / A19 North. (Most of which passes my house alongside the York Ring Rd.)
Also some from the commuter traffic.

HGV traffic is legally limited to 40 mph on most of the A1079 so with commuter traffic heading into York from Pocklington / Mkt Weighton they will find themselves in a queue most days. As will traffic heading the other way into Hull but at least there are 2 main A routes from Mkt Weighton. ( South Cave or Arras hill)

As has been said earlier if you can avoid the peak times an hour is reasonable but in the peaks it can be a lot more.
However the road hasn't really changed much in 2000 years as most of it is built on Roman roads and these may have been built on pre existing trackways.

What is needed is a way of reducing the freight traffic on the A1079 and that would mean developing a rail link to the docks onto the Seamer line then a reinstated Beverley - York with a North facing connection at York to send the traffic North up the ECML.
Passenger traffic would be a bonus but I fear as Ferryman has said not really a major proposition.
ferryman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by ferryman »

I was giving only a personal perspective on the matter .... everyone will have their own outlook as a potential user (or not), I just doubt that there is sufficient demand overall, throughout the day, and especially for end-to-end journeys. Where other restorations have succeeded, there may be different geography and demographic factors.
Bryan, re your point for trucks heading for A19, I will generally use M61/A1/A19 via Ferrybridge mainly because of the dreaded York northern ring road with its multiple roundabouts! If ever a road was badly designed, that is it!
But in any event, as others have pointed out, the need to realign parts of the old route and the overall cost is likely to continue to leave this scheme in limbo.
Regards
George Robinson
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

And your viewpoint is perfectly valid. However, you have a car which not everyone else does, or wishes to use theirs for long journies. The government is currently embarking on spending a total of £34 Billion on a new high speed rail line which will essentially just duplicate existing rail corridors. Presumably it has been costed ouit and the benefits outweigh the cost.
At present if you were (say) a businessman who wished to travel from Londo to Pocklington you'd zip from London to York in less than two hours then have to haul your luggage outside the station and either get a bus or queue for a taxi. A rail line via Pocklington would give huge benefits while causing far less environmental impact than a dualled road.
A large part of the reason this line closed was that it had multiple level crossings each of which had to be staffed at huge expense of manpower.
That wouldn't be the case on a rebuilt line where all crossings would be AHB or CCTV.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

And in the last years of its life a number of crossings were converted to AHB I think.
Still it closed.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

None of the crossings were converted to AHB. The crossing at Warthill was the first in the Uk to receive lifting barriers but these were manually worked from the existing wheel in the signalbox. It was proposed to convert it to CTC and some of the equipment was supposedly delivere to Stamford Bridge but never used.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Not heard anything from Presser for a while.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-18314051
Yorkshire Exile
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

If Presscott is supporting the reinstatement then we can all forget it ever happening!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Just curious about the phrase "A campaign group wants the four local authorities whose areas the line would pass through to carry out a detailed study of the proposed scheme."

Exactly how many feasibility studies does this scheme require? :shock:
ferryman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by ferryman »

PinzaC55 wrote:Just curious about the phrase "A campaign group wants the four local authorities whose areas the line would pass through to carry out a detailed study of the proposed scheme."

Exactly how many feasibility studies does this scheme require? :shock:
Surely you know the answer, it's as many as it needs until some tame (and well paid) consultants come up with the right (= required) answer! :)

I was once wisely taught, for any capital project don't start with boring old traffic projections, revenue generation, costs etc then try to show it's feasible and worth investing in.
No, start with the answer you want and work back until you convince yourself that the revenue exceeds the cost, just keep taking an optimistic view of traffic and revenue and a minimal view of costs, and surely you will get there in the end. Then back it up under the name of a 'reputable consultant' and surely someone will fall for it and cough up the dosh.
Cynic, who, me?
Regards
George Robinson
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I often get the feeling that this scheme is like the "proposed reopening" of Haxby and Strensall stations - it resurfaces just before an election, a feasibility study is done, and once the votes are counted they conclude that they cannot afford it. I would rather they stop insulting my intelligence.