New Build Claud Hamilton

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phoenix - 8783
NER Y7 0-4-0T

New Build Claud Hamilton

Post by Phoenix - 8783 »

We aim to build and operate a standard gauge 4-4-0 D16/2 "Claud Hamilton" steam locomotive No.8783 to be named "Lady Hamilton" and dedicated to James Holden who became Locomotive Superintendent at the Great Eastern Railway in July 1885. Our locomotive will incorporate fully sealed and self lubricating roller bearings as well as a lempor ejector to give greater efficiency and reduce maintanence costs.

The locomotive will be numbered 8783, this was the number given to one of two Claud Hamiltons allocated to Royal Train duties. Although 8783 was never named we will be naming the new build "Lady Hamilton".
The loco will be used primarily on heritage railways.

We will be holding two public meetings this spring/summer to see if theres enough interest for the project to go ahead where you can come along, hear about our plans and ask us questions about the project. The dates, times and locations will be announced shortly.

Visit our website for more details:
http://claudhamiltongroup.webs.com/
Claud Hamilton Locomotive Group

New Build - 8783 "Phoenix"
Tony
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: New Build Claud Hamilton

Post by Tony »

That is a very nice choice for a new-build project.
The last one 62613 was a March engine and I know it was saved for a while with a view to preservation but back then the ten pieces of silver just could not be found.
I remember my friend and I coming over the bridge enroute to March shed (in 1960 I think it was) and was saw this odd looking loco in the distance not knowing for a moment what it was: 'What on Earth is that?' asked Mike as we squinted across the yard from the bridge. That one was one with the fancy valance over the (7 foot) driving wheels left intact.
What a treat!
The new one should look pretty fine done up in Great Eastern blue too.
Old man Holden was a Quaker - as were many of my own ancestors. We need some of that kind of morality in the world today.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

You may be interested to know that there is a Claude Hamilton available in the Trainz rail simulator - I've done a videof it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQvR0v2mwE click on bottom right hand corner of the video to watch it in 720 HD. It's a very fine looking engine and gives a great impression of speed even though I have set maximum line speed to 30MPH.
Paul B
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Paul B »

Great idea for a new build loco! I have been fascinated by the Claudes since I became interested in the GER. I may now live in GWR territory, but it doesn't stop me being a GER fan at heart!
LNER fan in the home of the GWR!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Hmmm.

That'll be rather nice and a nice change from alltheclass 6, 7 and 8 engines being proposed or built at the moment.

Will it have the full valance and Belpaire box or will it be the Gresley reuild?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Phoenix - 8783
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Phoenix - 8783 »

it have the full valance and Belpaire box :D

thanks for all the support so far :D

Phoenix - 8783
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Phoenix - 8783 »

Bit of news, 8783 will from now on be named "Phoenix" see our websites blog for more details.

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I was just reading in a thread in the "Rail UK Forums" about the plan to build a new P2 which I have to say I find a bit bizarre! It would be totally out of place on any heritage line except maybe the NYMR or the GCR and what would they do if NR stopped allowing steam on the main line? A Claude Hamilton is at least the sort of power range which is practical. I would build something like a J39, V3 or A8 if I had the money.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There are two groups planning to build a P2. It would be great to see one running, but I think two will divide the effort. As for NR: That didn't stop Tornado (which is also over powered for preservation work).

A Claud really should have been preserved, and as you say it is a good size for preservation work.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
A3 Spearmint
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by A3 Spearmint »

I think it's a great idea it's nice to see a smaller more usable new build loco being recreated than all the big locos, i love the A1,P2 and Patriot new builds but very happy at the Claud being recreated even more so me being a Hamilton :lol:
I like idea of calling it Phoenix, risen from the ashes!
I look forward to hearing more about the project good luck guys.
Interested in the NBR,LNER and shale works railways of central Scotland.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

richard said "As for NR: That didn't stop Tornado (which is also over powered for preservation work)."

I know. My point is let's take a hypothetical situation where a steam locomotive boiler explodes killing a number of people. Just as with the accidents at level crossings we all know there'd be an instant over reaction so all steamers are banned from the main line. The P2 thus ends up where? The Tanfield Railway?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great to hear of a Claud new build, going to look good next to the B17 :shock:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phoenix - 8783
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Phoenix - 8783 »

Hi all quick update, we now have a new website which gives more info on the project, the team and photos.

http://www.wix.com/claudhamiltonlocogro/phoenix#!

LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

That's a good looking locomotive. Nice to see a "smaller" locomotive being built anew.
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Hope it all works out well.

Go for it! You know you want to!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!