National Railway Museum Station Hall redevelopment

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

National Railway Museum Station Hall redevelopment

Post by Rlangham »

The Station Hall, my favourite part of the NRM, is to be redeveloped - the locomotives and rolling stock that will be on display are all listed here;

http://nrm.org.uk/stationhall

As mentioned in the 1621 thread, that locomotive is/has moved to Shildon. The Great Northern Railway J52 1247 will be moved into there, also the North Eastern Railway fire engine isn't on the list so maybe that will be moved elsewhere
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: National Railway Museum Station Hall redevelopment

Post by richard »

The J52 isn't in bold on the list, so I assume it is already at York. I also see Maude is on the list!

I assume the Bouch Long Boiler is still in the Main Hall? There's a small chance I might make it to York in August - and this would be to photograph it for my next loco project.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Richard.
Next time I go to the NRM (could be this weekend) I will check to see if the long boiler is there, last time I went a couple of weeks ago Maude was on the turntable.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

According to a recent article in Steam Railway the whole redevelopment thingy seems to be off for the forseeable.

All I can say is that the plans looked to me like a mess.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
kieranhardy
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by kieranhardy »

Blink Bonny wrote:According to a recent article in Steam Railway the whole redevelopment thingy seems to be off for the forseeable.
I doubt it is, they've cleared out the station hall bit already. Having said that this seems more of a move around rather than a redevelopment.
Kieran

For my railway photos: http://khardy.zenfolio.com/
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

It was the NRM-+ that was cancelled.I wish they could put more lighting in the Station Hall part.It'll be interesting seeing what they do in there.
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I was at the NRM the other day and speaking to Search Engine staff the redevelopment is off. It's a good thing, as at least one loco was going to be surrounded with a platform structure so you would be able to walk around it but not see any of the motion. I think it was going the be Mallard. The station hall is appalling they have filled in the gap between the platform edge and the exibit, so all you see is the body no underframe or wheels like looking at grounded wagons, the Midland spinner looks stupid like that, the staff agree, what idiot (elf and safety) came up with the idea of cutting off half the view of it's masive driving wheels. Surely thats what you would want to stand next to and be amazed at it's size.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Dave wrote: at least one loco was going to be surrounded with a platform structure so you would be able to walk around it but not see any of the motion. I think it was going the be Mallard.
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Spits feathers at screen!!!!

Egad, Am I glad that nonsense has been kicked into touch!

Hide Mallard, indeed.

Think yourselves very lucky Mrs BB's not here. I may have been banned for life!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!