New Pages: GER 4-4-0s, and D49 Hunt/Shires

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Pages: GER 4-4-0s, and D49 Hunt/Shires

Post by richard »

The next group of locomotives that I am working on are the GER 4-4-0s: D13 & D14,D15,D16 'Claud Hamilton' locomotives; and the LNER D49 Hunt/Shires. I've already started on some of the prep work, and I hope to get pictures and D49 names up later today.

The Clauds and Hunt/Shires were chosen because they are probably the most popular locomotives that are still outstanding. The D13 has been added to the list because it then completes the GER 4-4-0s.

Earlier in 2005, Barry Heath provided a lot of helpful information for the D13s. I have now completed the page, filling in the odd gap here and there. The complete page can be found here:

http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d13.shtml

I am going to be away for a couple of weeks over Christmas, so I may not reach the Hunt/Shires before the end of the year. However I'm hoping to get the Clauds finished in the next few weeks.
After these, the plan is to move on to the 'E' 2-4-0 locomotives followed by either the GNR 0-6-0s or the NER 4-4-0s.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

Hornby used to produce a D49 Shire some years ago. It had tender drive. They also produced it in a Hunt version, but with Walshaert's valve gear.

The body of the locomotive is fairly accurate and makes a good basis for a bashing a loco drive version.

Colombo
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

For those interested Comet Models produce components for the D49 - a frame pack, a motion pack and a chassis pack.

You can find this and much more at www.cometmodels.co.uk

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks Colombo and Andy - I've added the info. It is looking like I might actually have time to get the D49 page finished before Christmas.

I also added quite a bit of Claud info on Saturday. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it later today.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Claud page is up:

http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d14d15d16.shtml

Covers the original D14 Clauds, D15 Belpaire Clauds, D16 'Super Clauds', and the D16/3 Gresley Rebuilds.

Shame we don't have one of these fine engines surviving - it would go well with the B12 and J15!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The D49 page is up:

http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d49.shtml

Covers the D49/1 'Shires', D49/2 'Hunts', D49/3s and the ill fated Class D rebuild.

This will be the last new page for 2005. If I have time over the next week, I may start the prep work for the 'E' 2-4-0s, or split the Wisbech & Upwell and Aberford pages up into smaller sections (something I've been talking about for a few months now).

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia