Reinstatement of the Waverley Route

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Reinstatement of the Waverley Route

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Probably the same as 500 charter train passengers do in Bleanau Ffestiniog if they've just missed the little train.

Wait.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
BJamieson
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by BJamieson »

60041 wrote:The latest news from the Borders, calls for a redesign of Tweedbank Station to accomodate charter trains, quite what 500 passengers will do when they alight at Tweedbank is another matter!
http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/rou ... e-borders/
Agreed that Tweedbank will not be an attraction in itself (something of an understatement!), although Abbotsford House, which reopens to the public next year, is only about a mile from the amended station site and should be walkable by a lot of people. For the moderately fit it would also be feasible to walk alongside the Tweed to Melrose (abbey, gardens, plenty of cafes) and get a bus back to Tweedbank, but there's no denying that a vital component of any railtour would have to be an onward coach tour taking in a permutation of the above attractions plus Dryburgh Abbey, Scott's View and (possibly) further afield.

Bill
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

BJamieson wrote:
60041 wrote:The latest news from the Borders, calls for a redesign of Tweedbank Station to accomodate charter trains, quite what 500 passengers will do when they alight at Tweedbank is another matter!
Agreed that Tweedbank will not be an attraction in itself (something of an understatement!), although Abbotsford House, which reopens to the public next year, is only about a mile from the amended station site and should be walkable by a lot of people. For the moderately fit it would also be feasible to walk alongside the Tweed to Melrose (abbey, gardens, plenty of cafes) and get a bus back to Tweedbank, but there's no denying that a vital component of any railtour would have to be an onward coach tour taking in a permutation of the above attractions plus Dryburgh Abbey, Scott's View and (possibly) further afield.

Bill
Yes its an awful shame that they could not find a way to take the line to Melrose and use whats left of the old station, although some of the older passengers might be a bit out of puff by the time they have run up the hill to catch the train!
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

If the new line is a success in terms of passenger numbers, which I'm confident it will be when you see what has happened with other Scottish re-openings, then I wouldn't be surprised if it's extended to Hawick within ten years. Hawick is, after all the largest town in the Borders and the largest in Scotland without a rail connection.

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

More news concerning the reinstatement of the line from yesterdays Herald;
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/tran ... k.17117200
Its a bit ironic that they are using a photo of Melrose to illustrate the article when there are not any plans at present to go that far.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Another update on the progress of the line, this time from the CILT:
http://www.ciltscotland.com/mr120412.php
BJamieson
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by BJamieson »

Coronach wrote:If the new line is a success in terms of passenger numbers, which I'm confident it will be when you see what has happened with other Scottish re-openings, then I wouldn't be surprised if it's extended to Hawick within ten years. Hawick is, after all the largest town in the Borders and the largest in Scotland without a rail connection.

Dave.
While agreeing with the sentiments, I would point out that there are larger Scottish towns than Hawick not on the rail network - Peterhead and Methil/Buckhaven come to mind. However I don't think there's any doubt, considering the combination of population and distance to the closest railhead, that Hawick is currently the most disadvantaged town in Scotland in this respect.

Bill
BJamieson
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by BJamieson »

60041 wrote:
BJamieson wrote:

Bill
Yes its an awful shame that they could not find a way to take the line to Melrose and use whats left of the old station, although some of the older passengers might be a bit out of puff by the time they have run up the hill to catch the train!
It's very curious that Melrose was never even seriously considered as a first stage terminus. Back in 2000, or whenever it was, consultant Scott Wilson looked at Selkirk, Tweedbank, Kelso and Hawick as potential end points - I wonder why not Melrose as well.

Bill
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

I was unaware of Kelso's consideration. One for the future perhaps? :)

Meanwhile, the Border Union Railway's passenger service commences on 1st of July at Whitrope Heritage Centre, marking the 150th anniversary of the first services over the route.

http://www.borderunionrailway.co.uk/WHC_BUR_2012v3.pdf

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Why don't we simply remove the word "impossible" from the Railway Preservationist's Dictionary? Seems like a bit of a redundant word these days....
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

Station's almost ready to go and the LEV4 Railbus is arriving today, all being well.
We do not recognise the word 'impossible' at the BURC, so come on up and have a look. Only a short running length for this first season, but acorns aren't big either...

Dave.
Attachments
iPhone photos 021.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I really hope this is a go-er for you.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Coronach wrote:Station's almost ready to go and the LEV4 Railbus is arriving today, all being well.
We do not recognise the word 'impossible' at the BURC, so come on up and have a look. Only a short running length for this first season, but acorns aren't big either...

Dave.
Forget the station picture.....it's Abbie!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

When will the first stage of this reinstated line reopen? Have they mentioned a date?
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

Work has already commenced and the line should be operational for early 2015.
Keep up with the latest developments here.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news.aspx

and here.

http://waverleyrouteha.wordpress.com/

Dave.