61662 Manchester United "To be restored"

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: 61662 Manchester United "To be restored"

Post by Iron Duke »

Once heard a story that Nottingham City Council turned down the opportunity to purchase Nottingham Forest (the loco not the club) for scrap value. Apparently someone eventually just bought the nameplate(s) Anyone know what happened to them? When was it scrapped and where?
adge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by adge »

One of the nameplates was in the Forest boardroom in the BC days.
harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by harvester »

I always believed all the "footballer" names were offered to the respective clubs when the locomotives came up for withdrawal.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Spurs have both nameplates, and were on show at the ground in the foyer,until recently Hull and Norwich are above the players entrance.
There was a story a few years ago re the Newcash nameplate. Apparently one of the LNER directors was a 'Woolwich wanderers' director as well and they had been thumped by Newcastle in the 1932 final. When the name was announced he demanded that it not be used. he carried a grudge !!. and so it was only on the loco for a couple of weeks.
Despite this being a terrific story to add to the misdemenours of 'that lot' i cannot get a connection at all. So at the moment it remains unproven
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

until recently Hull and Norwich are above the players entrance
I did hear that, when strapped for cash, Hull City had sold their plate about 10-15 years ago.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Solario,It, or a replica, was still there when they played Spurs Aug 2010

As an aside, that was a trip. Staying in Stirling on holiday, drove to Prestwick, Ryanair to Dublin (yes!) Ryanair to Gatwick, Train to Victoria, tube to Hillingdon, Picked up by my lad, picked his mate up in Hatfield, an hour late due to some dozy bird breaking down in the M25 rodworks,Left Hatfield at 4.45 and walked in the gound as they were kicking off at 7.45. I drove the car back to Luton, got dropped off at the airport, and got the National Express Coach to Stanstead, got the first flight out back to Prestwick and drove back to Stirling. The single fare from Gatwick to Vic was more than the three legs of the flights, ( Special offer £1.00 per leg and no taxes)

And they say People who enjoy trains are mad
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

It, or a replica, was still there when they played Spurs Aug 2010
I did hear that Hull City had acquired a replica, but I don't know how true this is.
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

harvester wrote:I always believed all the "footballer" names were offered to the respective clubs when the locomotives came up for withdrawal.
In which case, what happened to the plates of Bradford F.C.?
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

That is a good question, although it as said that Bradford Citys plate was destroyed in that terrible fire
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

West_Stanley wrote:This wouldn't be my choice of a "Footballer" name, but interestly, Manchester United were bottom of the First Division when 61662 went into service! Looking at the situation more positively, if there was a locomotive called "Manchester United", supporters of the neighbouring club would demand a one called "Manchester City"! Perhaps their moneybags Oil Sheik would fund it personally! Man U's other bitter rivals, "Liverpool" - not to be outdone - may demand one also, which would lead to an "Everton" loco, then an "Arsenal" and "Tottenham Hotspur" machine. Vladimir Romanov's ego and wallet would perhaps demand a B17 with a "Chelsea" name plaque (complete with new number), and Hey Presto! A whole new fleet of B17's!

We've not heard much of this project recently, it seems to have gone off the boil. The matter is being very poorly promoted. This is an excellent untapped source of income for heritage railways; money from Football Supporters and Chairmen who are passionate about their Football Clubs

PS How about a B17 called Flying Fortress!

1671 'Manchester City' went on to become a B2 rebuild 1671 (61671) 'Royal Sovereign', a much more fitting name I think in the present realm of our own Royal Sovereign.
This way they could have the best of both worlds with Gresley's B17 and Thompson's succesful B1 rolled into one! Just a thought!!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Rather than "Flying Fortress", perhaps "Sally B" or "Memphis Belle", just to confuse everyone? :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

richard wrote:"Sally B"
With the nose art on the splashers :lol: I doubt that'd go down well, but it in the long run, it could be good publicity for the ol' girl
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
adge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by adge »

Iron Duke wrote:Once heard a story that Nottingham City Council turned down the opportunity to purchase Nottingham Forest (the loco not the club) for scrap value. Apparently someone eventually just bought the nameplate(s) Anyone know what happened to them? When was it scrapped and where?
Mentioned this in conversation the other night and was howled down by those who know about these things - apparently it was the Stanier Coronation 'City of Nottingham' that was offered and turned down. (cf City of Birmingham).

Ref the footballers - are the Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United plates that adorn Olivia's Trains in Sheffield authentic?

edit = forget it they're replicas