The new look of King's Cross

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: The new look of King's Cross

Post by AndyRush »

StevieG wrote: In the last few years, during all the works, the road layout between (and otherwise nearby to) between the GN/station, and Pancras Road, has been somewhat variable. There now appears to physically be a roadway leaving Pancras Road on the south side of 'the German Gym' (near the entrance close to platforms 9-11), which then skirts the east side of that building before seeming to head N by NE -ish to join Goods Way, though it could well be still closed off to public access at present.
SNIPPED
The 'road' heading N by NE-ish to join Goods Way is in fact pedestrian access to the new student accommodation in and around the old Granary. Wouldn't dream of taking a car around the Kings Cross/St Pancras area, so I have no idea about 'dropping off' points!

Andy
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

There are two ways to get out of recession.

1. Start a few major public projects which create employment, raise taxes and spread a bit of wealth around.

2. Stick one's head in the sand and hope someone else sorts it out for you.

Two guesses as to what I think the present Govt is doing.....
The government "raises" taxes anyway. On top of income tax, I pay 20% VAT, £20 a week Council Tax (in return for which I get my bin emptied every 2 weeks)
HS2 is to be built with £34 BILLION (savour that figure) of taxpayers money and then leased to private companies which "may" pay it back, though of course the ECML ,which changes hands every few years, isn't a great example of how this works in practice.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Well it's different, and the roof reminds me of York cathedral. manna
Can you let me know where the Cathedral is in York please?

I know where the MINSTER is and a number of other churches but not a Cathedral.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Bryan wrote:
manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Well it's different, and the roof reminds me of York cathedral. manna
Can you let me know where the Cathedral is in York please?

I know where the MINSTER is and a number of other churches but not a Cathedral.
From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Minster

"York Minster is a Gothic cathedral in York, England"

"The formal title of York Minster is The Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York".

You can't miss it. Out of the "train station", follow the road, over Lendal Bridge and straight ahead. :P
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Minster is, I believe, an old Saxon word meaning "Teaching Church." Cathedral means much the same although I have forgotten the derivation.

Having thought about this, I reckon the roof looks good.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I said it was a Cathedral, because it is in the City of York, no Cathedral...no City and in my opinion one of the most beautiful buildings in Europe.

The other thing I thought about was, that it complements the great Cathedral of steam next door.........Kings Cross ! not St P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

no Cathedral...no City
Things have changed since you were transported, mate. There's a big tree down the road which is up for city status now. Just like everywhere's a University these days.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

....e.g. the "City of Brighton( and Hove)" :roll: [ granted by HMQ as of 2000, 'the Minellium' and all that (Wickedpedia) ], or something like that.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

AndyRush wrote:
StevieG wrote: In the last few years, during all the works, the road layout between (and otherwise nearby to) between the GN/station, and Pancras Road, has been somewhat variable. There now appears to physically be a roadway leaving Pancras Road on the south side of 'the German Gym' (near the entrance close to platforms 9-11), which then skirts the east side of that building before seeming to head N by NE -ish to join Goods Way, though it could well be still closed off to public access at present.
SNIPPED
The 'road' heading N by NE-ish to join Goods Way is in fact pedestrian access to the new student accommodation in and around the old Granary. Wouldn't dream of taking a car around the Kings Cross/St Pancras area, so I have no idea about 'dropping off' points!

Andy
Interesting Andy. Perhaps I need to deliberately divert one day and have a closer look. Thanks.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Meanwhile, back at 'the Cross', Network Rail's website has a King's Cross page
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6288.aspx ,
which currently includes two 'time-lapse' videos and a short 'fly-through' ( :roll: ) virtual reality video clip of the new concourse and a walk through to the original station concourse.

(If this link doesn't seem to work, try their homepage,
http://www.networkrail.co.uk ,
click on 'Improving the railway', use 'Select a Project', and pick 'Kings Cross station redevelopment' from the resulting drop-down list)

I gather there's also a brand new real video of inside the new concourse in existence, but this may only be available company-internally at the moment.
Last edited by StevieG on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

StevieG wrote:....e.g. the "City of Brighton( and Hove)" :roll: [ granted by HMQ as of 2000, 'the Minellium' and all that (Wickedpedia) ], or something like that.
...And now, read here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17364651
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I live these days in the fair city ( :lol: ) of Wolverhampton which has a singular deficiency in terms of Catherdra*.

It has just a Collegiate Church.

City status ha long been granted by Royal Assent and the presence (or otherwise) of a Cathedral is no marker.

* cathedra = the proper plural of cathedral.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

One can lament the loss of yesterday's look, but the Cross has looked a bit shabby, especially since the completion of St. Pancras in 2007. From what I've seen, apart from the original footbridge and the Culross buildings, the work undertaken has been sympathetic to the original architecture and will ultimately enhance it with the demolition of the 'african village' next year.

When you compare what has been done at KX and St.P to the demolition and replacement of Euston in the 60's, I think they've done a good job.

I wonder what is planned for the 'new' Euston, the chosen terminal for HS2......?

Here is a sneak preview of the interior of the western concourse prior to Monday's official opening.
http://vimeo.com/38514152
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Ahh, well , things change, I was taught that there had to be a cathedral in a town to be called a city, things have changed greatly since I was transported, I would say that everything's gone down hill since they took gruel off the menu in the 6th class pig swill cars, things will never be the same for us non voters.

manna

PS. At least Kings Cross is still standing
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

....and 'the gap' in the West Side offices, remaining from the Blitz, has been restored in an original style (I think; - the top part that can be seen through the newly revealed sections of the refurbished roof is anyway : What it looks like lower down on the other [new concourse] side will have to wait until next week's opening).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \