The new look of King's Cross

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

The new look of King's Cross

Post by Kestrel »

A new monstrosity at King's Cross. What would Gresley and Co think of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... evamp.html
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The new look of King's Cross

Post by jwealleans »

I was looking at it on Monday night and thinking it must be just about finished. I don't think it's a monstrosity at all - the original building is clearly visible and distinct from the canopy and it's going to allow them to get rid of the hideous mess on the front of the building.

If the work in KX approaches the standard and results of what they've done next door then I applaud them. Just a shame the footbridge had to go.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Well it's different, and the roof reminds me of York cathedral, and someone 'as nicked all the cobble stones.

Are they going to reinstate the 'African Village' when they remove the old (1972) booking office !

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well as Gresley was an engineer he would probably be amazed by it, it could not have been done in his day.

A great piece of design.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Its a stupendous feat of engineering but a total waste of money bearing in mind we are supposed to be in a recession? Also, design-wise I think it is rather stupid to place the main support directly in front of the main entrance. Bad feng shui !
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

Dave wrote:Well as Gresley was an engineer he would probably be amazed by it, it could not have been done in his day.

A great piece of design.
Hear, hear!

Andy
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

a total waste of money bearing in mind we are supposed to be in a recession?
With respect and all that, I believe they started this before that particular excrement hit the air conditioning. Besides, if they'd stopped as soon as money started to get tight, leaving half a job, what would we have been saying then?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

How is it a waste of money?! 45 million people pass through it on a yearly average. This is going up at an incredible rate and nearly 55 million will pass through King's Cross in a decade, on average per year.

The station was not previously fit for purpose without this expenditure and redevelopment.

Transport investment is absolutely necessary, otherwise you stagnate the development of both the system and the people expected to use it.

That the Americans being quoted on the radio today are full of praise for the transport investments in the railways in the UK and damning their country somewhat for its lack of infrastructure investment, must say something about foreward thinking, long term planning of which there is not enough of in this country by a long way, and is stagnated by a continual and rather exasperating "we must not spend money" train of thought.

"We must invest money in this now so this can be achieved by that date" instead of "I'll spend money on a duck house" is how I'd like successive governments to think from now on...!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I don't understand where you are coming from by saying it's a waste of money in a recession......don't we need to spend for the future, recession or not ?, plus it has kept many people who work in construction and engineering in a job...that alone must be a good thing at least for them.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

i am driving in to drop off my wife soon.
Where is the short term parking annd how much is it per nano second?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

"How is it a waste of money?! 45 million people pass through it on a yearly average. "

The vast majority of it covers empty space at a high level. I don't suppose those 45 million people are going to be flying mid-air in magnetic levitation vehicles? A lower tech roof at ground level would have sufficed. Its just like HS2 , a colossal display of (can't say that) "flag waving".
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

A look here :
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/New_Kings_Cross.aspx
might help people get their bearings, including the download map link ( http://www.networkrail.co.uk/WorkArea/D ... 0064780819 ) therein : It can be seen in this that the main roof support seems to be in front of (only! :? ) the ticket office, rather than 'the main entrance'.
But the nearest thing I've seen to mention of short-term drop-off or pickup sounds like basically 'taxis will be in Pancras Road'.
In the last few years, during all the works, the road layout between (and otherwise nearby to) between the GN/station, and Pancras Road, has been somewhat variable. There now appears to physically be a roadway leaving Pancras Road on the south side of 'the German Gym' (near the entrance close to platforms 9-11), which then skirts the east side of that building before seeming to head N by NE -ish to join Goods Way, though it could well be still closed off to public access at present.
This might change next Monday (19th March 2012) when is the big day for opening the new western concourse.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Dave said "don't we need to spend for the future, recession or not ?"

So in other words I should spend as if I am a millionaire now on the assumption I will be a millionaire in a few years time?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

There are two ways to get out of recession.

1. Start a few major public projects which create employment, raise taxes and spread a bit of wealth around.

2. Stick one's head in the sand and hope someone else sorts it out for you.

Two guesses as to what I think the present Govt is doing.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

There are two ways to get out of recession.

1. Start a few major public projects which create employment, raise taxes and spread a bit of wealth around.
HS2?