Alan Pegler - Obituary

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Alan Pegler - Obituary

Post by Coboman »

Aye, 91 isn't a bad innings, and to have owned and run a loco like Flying..what a life! I hope he went on to the next world thinking he made a real difference to our lives. RIP Mr Pegler.
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
bigwordsmith
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by bigwordsmith »

Now if by any chance the Doncaster group ever do get round to building a P2 what's the chance they could name it after Alan Pegler?

Without him there would be no mainline steam

RIP Alan, you brought so much pleasure to so many.
bigwordsmith
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by bigwordsmith »

H&BR - Thanks for posting that link, thoroughly enjoyed watching it and seeing all the old ECML steam landscape.

THose two your trainspotters are probably about my age now - wonder if anyone knows what happened to them?
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

It was riding behind "Scotsman" on my birthday during the "ride the legend" season,that re-awoke my interest in the railways,and started me off photographing steam,and set me off linesiding which i love so much.Cheers Alan,hope you are on the footplate of "Papyrus",flying through the heavens.God bless!!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Ferrybridge Flyer wrote:It was riding behind "Scotsman" on my birthday during the "ride the legend" season,that re-awoke my interest in the railways,and started me off photographing steam,and set me off linesiding which i love so much.Cheers Alan,hope you are on the footplate of "Papyrus",flying through the heavens.God bless!!!
I like the thought of great engines like Papyrus going to heaven too! :D
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

StevieG wrote:Wholeheartedly agree.
Only a few years ago, I happened to meet him, in his chair with helper(s) attendant, on the platform at York at the end of an NRM special day of some sort, as we were all about to board an approaching southbound ECML express.
A great pleasure to talk with, even if only for less than one minute.
I hope I may be excused for posting this pic once again (previously in the "Alan Pegler - 90" thread, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3673&p=29907&hilit=southgate#p29907 ), as, at the time, it was a prompt, in my youth, to my then finding out for the first time who Mr. Pegler was and his part in making such a photo possible.
A Saturday morning, in 1968 if memory serves : Twin-tendered 4472 with The 'Norfolk Enterprise', approaches the south end of New Southgate station on the Down Fast. Maroon stock then used for excursions, stabled in the Wallside Siding (the 'wall' being that of the 'Colney Hatch' mental hospital). The bricked-up archway in the wall once allowed entry into the hospital grounds of a siding at 90-degrees off a wagon turnplate in 'the Wallside', which, when needing to be used, had to be unbolted from the signal box, as wagons being turned fouled the adjacent Down Slow line.
A Saturday morning, in 1968 if memory serves : Twin-tendered 4472 with The 'Norfolk Enterprise', approaches the south end of New Southgate station on the Down Fast. Maroon stock then used for excursions, stabled in the Wallside Siding (the 'wall' being that of the 'Colney Hatch' mental hospital). The bricked-up archway in the wall once allowed entry into the hospital grounds of a siding at 90-degrees off a wagon turnplate in 'the Wallside', which, when needing to be used, had to be unbolted from the signal box, as wagons being turned fouled the adjacent Down Slow line.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:
Ferrybridge Flyer wrote:It was riding behind "Scotsman" on my birthday during the "ride the legend" season,that re-awoke my interest in the railways,and started me off photographing steam,and set me off linesiding which i love so much.Cheers Alan,hope you are on the footplate of "Papyrus",flying through the heavens.God bless!!!
I like the thought of great engines like Papyrus going to heaven too! :D
As a belated additoin apparently the story goes that he would rather have saved [by his own word] Papyrus than Flying Scotsman , but the Yanks couldn't pronounce Papyrus! :shock: :lol: What's more yes I quite agree he will be missed by many. On a more personnal note I was somewhat surprised how little national coverage there was when it was announced that Alan had passed away, as after all Flying Scotsman is one of a select band of engines that even none enthusiasts know, along with Mallard, Rocket [even if they get her mixed up with Locomotion!] and Thomas the Tank engine
StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by StoneRoad »

Miss him a lot - Alan was a real gent.
Had several conversations with him on the Festiniog, usually he was asking me to remind the buffet steward for his "special coffee" as well as generally catching up.

We all owe Alan a real debt for 4472 and mainline steam, and certain aspects of the whole preservation movement!

I was one a quite a crowd of friends and family present at his memorial service at Tan Y Bwlch in October. Very moving to have the gravity and service trains attending the event. A plaque was unveiled......
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?