Tynemouth Station Restoration

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Tynemouth Station Restoration

Post by limitofshunt »

Percy Main wrote: They look like fast passing lines at a mainline station, but I think they were really more like access lines to the former Blyth and Tyne station which was retained as a coal depot.
Precisely.... The NER line diagrams show this to be the case, with the Up and Down Blyth and Tyne Depot lines coming solely from the centre lines through Tynemouth. There was no access from the platform lines, or from the south without reversing.
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

PinzaC55 wrote:I've just received my copy of the new book and it is large format softback , 78 pages with mostly colour photo's but a number of historic black and white shots, many of which I haven't seen before. There are a few of my shots in there, including one miscaptioned "1960's" - I was even big enough to hold a camera then!

Sorry, what book is that?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It is called "Tynemouth Station 1882-2012". I received a free copy as thanks for use of some of my photo's. I'll mail the author and ask him to send me a link to buy it online.
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

PinzaC55 wrote:It is called "Tynemouth Station 1882-2012". I received a free copy as thanks for use of some of my photo's. I'll mail the author and ask him to send me a link to buy it online.
Thanks, I would like a copy and cannot find any reference to it.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Apparently it was produced as a free limited issue and they only have a few surplus copies. I've been in touch with the author and he may try to work something out.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Just received my English Heritage member's magazine- Tynemouth Station is on the shortlist for an "EH Angel" award in the "Best craftsmanship employed on a heritage rescue" category. One very small photograph shown.

Good to see the project has attracted wider attention/recognition though.....