RAILFEST AND THE OLYMPIC TORCH

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: RAILFEST AND THE OLYMPIC TORCH

Post by richard »

Quite. And it doesn't have pickup gear because there are no troughs!

The original Elizabethan would have run with water pickup en route via troughs.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

richard wrote:Quite. And it doesn't have pickup gear because there are no troughs!
Yes, reading back I seem to have twisted the priority there somewhat...! :oops:

The point stands that we both agree on: non stop isn't possible at this moment in time.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Were there any troughs in place in 1968(?) when 4472 worked the last steam non-stop with two tenders? It was non-stop but only just. A broken rail near York was approached at walking pace while the PW guys re-welded it.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

Were there any troughs in place in 1968(?) when 4472 worked the last steam non-stop with two tenders? It was non-stop but only just. A broken rail near York was approached at walking pace while the PW guys re-welded it.
It almost stopped at Berwick as well, there was some confusion about whether it was taking water or not and was diverted into the goods loop at the station. We watched it going through at walking speed while frantic calls were made to the signalman at Tweedmouth to re-set the road.
The troughs at Lucker were still in then, but I don't think that they were in use; the fact that they thought that 4472 was going to need water suggests that they weren't.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

41 has beat me to it, the water troughs at Lucker were definitely in existance at the time as they were used for a while after the end of steam traction to top up steam heat boilers on diesel locos. I dont know if 4472s collector gear was intact at the time.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

so we are all in an agreement tornado cannot possibly do a non-stop run from edinburgh to kings X unless a second tender was included (however even with a second tender would a non-stop run be possible)
and the headboard should be changed from 'THE ELIZABETHAN' to 'THE CATHEDRALS EXPRESS'
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

WOOTANG wrote: " so we are all in an agreement tornado cannot possibly do a non-stop run from edinburgh to kings X unless a second tender was included (however even with a second tender would a non-stop run be possible) .... "
If coal/water problems were all solved, it could well not be a high speed 'non-stop' throughout because of probably being booked Slow line here or there for a 'normal' train to overtake ; unless of course everything came to a standstill because of 'wires down' again; - or a 'non-suspicious event' fatality (from which the ECML (southern part at least) suffered significant disruption at least three times this week - two of which were on the same day, separated by only about 5.5 hours and 4 miles!)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I would think a non stop run is possible, in 4472's case she proved that here in Australia, she just needed a large water carrier, she still had a single tender, for Tornado, would it be possible to exchange tenders, to a corridor type, or even built another tender ????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

well we have a double tender A3 & A4 so why not an A1 i also agree with manna we need an universal water bowser tender which can couple up to any locomotive
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Haven't the Didcot crowd done just that with their bogie container wagon under a GUV body?

Surely they could be persuaded to run it behind summat decent for a change?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

Whoo, not been here for a while.

As sad as it is 4472 isn't hauling the Olympic Torch train, I don't think 46115 is such a bad substitute. Yes, it isn't LNER, but it is a fine locomotive as it is and still conveys the image of "impressive steam" in my view. I do hope it all goes well.
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

we should get a big one imported and modified to fit in with the british scene
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I think the whole point is that the Olympic flame "thing" is highly symbolic. Therefore the choice of engine should have something symbolic about it too.

If it can't be the nation's favourite engine Flying Scotsman or perhaps Tornado, and it can't be the fastest Mallard, then as I said before Britannia seems the obvious choice.

What is the relevance of 46115? None.

Another thought: last time we hosted the Olympics was I believe 1948, is there a mainline certified loco built in 1948?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Britannia would seem to be an obvious choice but the NRM don't own it, so that might be too much of a wrinkle as a substitution loco.

and a bit short of time to have a new build "British Enterprise" build! :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

oliver cromwell jumps to mind BRITSH THROUGH AND THROUGH