60010 - cosmetic restoration

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

60010 - cosmetic restoration

Post by 60800 »

Last year it was announced that 60010 was to undergo a cosmetic restoration (more like rebuild considering how she's been looked after :evil: ) and I'm wondering if it was meant to happen in Canada or if it is being done in the UK at somewhere like Crewe on her arrival later this year?
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: 60010 - cosmetic restoration

Post by WOOTANG »

well as its a locomotive that hauled the coronation trains (hopefully the NRM can get a couple) the plan was to put the locomotive in original condition
as for the other part i hope they both will be restored at the NRM
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Article from over the pond.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 7274.story

Apologies just seen that this has been posted already.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

WOOTANG wrote:Article from over the pond.

So much for secrecy!!
Seems to me to be a little premature as the contracts have still yet to be signed! .....But I must say it is looking very positive.

blackout60800 wrote: I'm wondering if it was meant to happen in Canada or if it is being done in the UK

Asbestos containment will take place here, prior to shipping, and cosmetic restoration will take place at York. This was an integral part of the loan deal.

blackout60800 wrote:more like rebuild considering how she's been looked after )

...And how would you know how she has been looked after? This locomotive has been under cover, on display in a secure building, since being saved for posterity by the CRHA, 45 years ago, when, I might add, other less fortunate Canadian locomotives have literally rusted away outdoors for lack of covered space. When inspected by a team from York last spring and another last month, the consensus was that she was in "remarkably good shape".
Exporail is a museum, (and not a preserved railway), that fortunately managed to save a huge array of Canadian locomotives and streetcars, (as well as 60010 and Waddon), but has to perform miracles with a mere fraction of the budget available to similar operations in the UK, and there is no lottery fund available, or vast army of enthusiasts to lean on. It is unrealistic and unfair to judge the rest of the world by the riches that you all take so much for granted in the UK,
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Yeah, at least she was saved and is in good structural condition. They have her old bell tucked away somewhere too (imagines 4489 sat at KX with the coronation set and the bell ringing.......)
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

in all fairness it would make a brilliant episode of monster moves
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I think what we're looking at with 60010 is simply the effects of anno domini. After all, she's sat untouched by human foot for 45 years! Having said that, I understand that the museum was carefully climate controlled?

D200 was in a much worse state with huge rust scars in the bodywork after 10 years of the NRM's TLC.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Hornby Dublo
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Hornby Dublo »

We should have it back here perminatly
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

BB
D200 is starting to look a little more respectable now thankfully
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Wootang!

That's what I like to hear. I always have liked the EE4s. Overweight, underpowered - bit like me really! :lol:

Oh, and they make a wonderful noise. :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Hornby Dublo wrote:We should have it back here perminatly
Really? Why should you ??

Cheeers,
Owd Sweedy.
Ottawa.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

owd sweedy wrote:
Hornby Dublo wrote:We should have it back here perminatly
Really? Why should you ??

Cheeers,
Owd Sweedy.
Ottawa.
I think the point has already been well made, that if the North American museums had not taken their A4s, they wouldn't have survived. First and foremost we should be grateful they did.

Secondly, I think it is a matter of national pride that other, albeit closely related, nations should want to display British handiwork. It's just like the Spitfires that are proudly displayed in other countries.

Thirdly, with 4 A4s in the UK, 3 nearly always in steam, and mainline certified, we are doing very well. More might undermine the financial viability of those we have.

The calls for a permanent return to the UK probably stem from the feeling that some people have that the locos are neglected and not appreciated where they are. It is probably also because there is a feeling that in the UK they would be maintained in steaming condition. There are no guarantees that they would be.

Personally I'm happy that they are safe, and much as I love A4s, I would like to see greater variety of LNER locos in running condition in the UK. For example, rather than another A4, let's see Green Arrow back in steam please!
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

2002 has hit the nail on the head it would be nice if one was allowed to steam in america

as for another loco to steam i ssy blue peter or a streamlined duchess

also with the mention of 4771 blackout's ears have pricked up haha
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

They sure have, WOOTANG :wink: I can't help but think that the arrival of Tornado has put paid to 4771 and 60532 ever being restored. As has been stated for the A4's the money would be too spead out, and I think 60163 has already spread it too far.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

It is a great pity Australia didn't take up the offer, to take C.o.Aust, we could of had another one to droll over :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.