Stoneferry Signal Box Hull Hornsea Line

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave Le Grove
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Stoneferry Signal Box Hull Hornsea Line

Post by Dave Le Grove »

On a slightly different tack, has anyone got any photos of Stoneferry Signal Box please.
I am a past S& T out of Hull Paragon circa 1959. and used to spend some time in the box with Dennis Coward who was one of the signalmen there.
Tappa
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Stoneferry Signal Box Hull Hornsea Line

Post by Tappa »

Mick Nicholson is the guy you need to speak with. Not sure if he is on this forum, but he frequents the likes of RMWeb. I'll drop him a line to let him know about this thred.

Jeff
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

Dave Le Grove wrote:On a slightly different tack, has anyone got any photos of Stoneferry Signal Box please.
I am a past S& T out of Hull Paragon circa 1959. and used to spend some time in the box with Dennis Coward who was one of the signalmen there.
I have several photos, signalling plans and I think locking chart and table. Can't reply now, I'm on my way to Paragon for nights. Contact me direct micknich2003@yahoo.co.uk
Dennis is still around but long retired, he now lives out of town. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Stoneferry had gone by the time I got to Hull, but Dennis Coward was my Area Inspector - glad to hear that he is retired and enjoying life
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

cambois wrote:Stoneferry had gone by the time I got to Hull, but Dennis Coward was my Area Inspector - glad to hear that he is retired and enjoying life

Ted West, the "DI" who now must be close on 90 is still going strong, and likewise Ernie Jeferson the "Traffic Manager", who is now 81. Mick.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Nice to hear that both are still doing well. Hull folk must be tough - well I know they are having had the privilege of working there in the early 80s. Earnie worked for me, but Ted was a Doncaster Division man. I suspect that Jack Hull has passed on, but his successor (in part) Philip Benham is GM of the North York Moors Rly but no doubt will generate some iobservations from some members of the Forum resident further south! Steve Hoather the former AME who did wonders with the TransPennine sets base at Botanic Gardens (It is criminal that they were retired so prematurely the best of the 1st generation dmus) is retired - but I have seen him at a gathering in York

Fine memories are returning

Pass on my best wishes if you see them David P