New book on East Yorkshire stations

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

New book on East Yorkshire stations

Post by Solario »

The book in question is East Yorkshire Railway Stations by Peter Tuffrey published by Amberley.

I have been able to obtain an early copy of this book and although I have not read it cover to cover it looks most interesting and I believe is in the same format as his previous books on Yorkshire stations (this completes the set).

Each station is listed in alphabetical order usually with one or more black & white photographs and with a write up including architect, facilities and date of opening and, where applicable, date of closure.

The area covered is the modern boundary of East Yorkshire, so Goole is present but Filey & the DVLR, are not.

I thought some forum members might like to know about this and I will just point out that I have no financial interest whatsoever.
Goathingham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: New book on East Yorkshire stations

Post by Goathingham »

Does the book include track layouts?
I'm particularly interested in Whitby West Cliff.
TIA,
Trevor
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Whitby would be North Yorkshire and not East Yorkshire.

Current EY boundary is between Bridlington and Filey so about 25 miles short of Whitby.
Goathingham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Goathingham »

Thanks. :(
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Does the book include track layouts?
There are a few track layouts, mainly, if not exclusively, of ex H&B stations. There are several maps also.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I've contributed a number of 1970's photo's to this book and as part of this the Yorkshire Wolds Railway should have it available shortly on our online shop http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/shop/ If you buy it from our site you can can contribute to a worthwhile cause instead of lining the pockets of Amazon.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

@Goathingham

You might want to get hold of a copy of "Whitby West Cliff Station" by Mike Hitches and Paul Hughes- published by Amberley Publishing last year. 4 or 5 track layouts (different periods) in there....

Back on topic, I have seen the East Yorkshire stations book and it has some fine photosand information, might look up the other 3 in the set.....