Damn Yankees

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Damn Yankees

Post by 52D »

I note the cover story in one of the monthlies that the USA are to challenge Mallards record. Can we have a feasible plan to use a certain A1 as a contender if this happens.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Damn Yankees

Post by 60800 »

They can sod off :|

If they do try and succeed, I'm sure we can claw it back with either 4464, 60007 or 60009 :wink:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Would the authorities allow an attempt in this country?

What if the US managed 130 mph? Is exceeding that possible with the locos we have?

If Stoke Bank is the best place for a high speed run, I suspect you would need something that could be doing around 100mph by the tunnel exit.

Do we have anything capable of that, (wash my mouth out) a Duchess possibly?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I only glanced at the article in a shop but it seems as though the Yanks will be using an existing loco with mods such as roller bearings etc.
I think we should put up a modernised A4 with a suitable American name to regain the honours if they manage to beat Mallard. Perhaps we should loan them the NER Dynamometer car in the interests of fairness.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

strang steel wrote:Do we have anything capable of that, (wash my mouth out) a Duchess possibly?
6229 in the full streamlining - I'm confident she could do 135mph down Stoke bank

EDIT: If anything good does come of this it's that if the record is broken, the NRM might stuff it's bubblewrap policy with Mallard and restore her
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

I've always thought that a Princess Coronation class, to give it it's correct name, had the ability to exceed Mallards 126 m.p.h. down Stoke Bank, had one ever been given the chance and the correct operating conditions. I'm sure this will put the cat amongst the pidgeons but they really were magnificent locomotives.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I haven't seen the article in question, but considering the editorial quality of the two main heritage magazines, I wouldn't put much stock in anything they say - especially an "exclusive headline".
The US preserved steam is a shadow of what the UK has. You would also need a suitable line with a sympathetic owner.

As for a Duchess going faster: If it wasn't for that Mr Hitler chap, one almost certainly would have beaten Mallard's record. A P2 with corrected thermodynamics (along Chapelon lines) could easily do it too, and some have suggested a Standard 8P with corrected valve gear (as per Duke of Gloucester) would be another contender.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

There's a story around that a battered old merchant navy hit 140mph :shock: , maybe a MN could do it?
jamieP

Post by jamieP »

strang steel wrote:Would the authorities allow an attempt in this country?

What if the US managed 130 mph? Is exceeding that possible with the locos we have?

If Stoke Bank is the best place for a high speed run, I suspect you would need something that could be doing around 100mph by the tunnel exit.

Do we have anything capable of that, (wash my mouth out) a Duchess possibly?
I would be confident a restored A4 or the A1 could do the speed but I doubt any of us would even try as to much risk involved even if the authorites allowed it.

Jamie
Last edited by jamieP on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Steve05 »

Hi,

While it’s fun to speculate, there is little doubt that Mallard could have also gone faster and likely well over 130 mph if not for the unexpected slowing down to 18 mph past the platelayers working at Grantham Station.

And if not for Mr. Hilter it’s likely that the LNER would have gone for more, especially if LMS was on the hunt. Would a non-streamlined 8F be capable of 120 mph plus? :shock:

If this is the case, would you not opt of for Tornado? It’s really not a reality on modern railways though? Or is it? :?

Regards

Steve
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

The problem is that we need to find a loco that we can gurantee would be serviceable after the run / would not cost overly much to repair, because the reality we have to face is that whatever loco we choose, it would be completeley knackered after the run
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Blackout60800 wrote:There's a story around that a battered old merchant navy hit 140mph :shock: , maybe a MN could do it?
There were lots of 'stories' in the mid 1960s about high speeds by SR pacifics, but from what I can recall there may have been a few that achieved over 100mph for short distances. There was never any real evidence to back up the rumours of high speeds.

I just wonder about the ability of current steam locomotives to go much faster than the Mallard record, even if they were in tip-top mechanical condition.

After all, the HST seemed to fall just shy of 150mph and that is with 4500hp on board. A Duchess might be able to produce 3300hp for short periods, but could any of the others we have mentioned come anywhere near these figures, which is really needed to gain sufficient speed before the descent begins?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I know this is harking back to probably the worst moment in NE preservation, but when Blue Peter had the slip at durham it was reported that the wheels span at equal to 140mph, so with Tornado having larger drivers, there is proof that the loco would be able to get it's wheels rotating fast enough, but where aerodynamics and weight come into the equation, I doubt Tornado could do over 130mph

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsNbzg1UaI
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I doubt that a Duchess (or Princess Coronation to give it its correct title you are quite correct Stirling O) could achieve that sort of speed using hand firing. True, the grate limit of a duchess has never been established - nor has the front end limit because TWO firemen couldn't keep up.

Can you really see the NRM allowing 6229 to be fitted with a mechanical stoker? I can't.

Plus the Duchess was built more for power than speed. An A4 could do it on the modern railway I reckon but would any owner allow it?

Maybe a modern replica A4 with roller bearings throughout and a mech stoker? Or, even better - a blue Coronation?

I'm off again!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
jamieP

Post by jamieP »

I would have no doubts that a A4 could do 130 mph under the right conditions and beleave the A1 could as well if the winds blowing in the right direction and I think they would try given the chance. I personal would not want to use no9 and Im sure other the other groups/ owners would feel the same.

Jamie